Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 AM

Re: Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

I would take a look at the Kifaru packs. Especially if you ever want to live out of your pack for more than a week and still bring the animal back. Check out the guys from the Proving trail adventures they are crazy. They haul 130lb loads of sheep for sometimes 3 days using the Kifaru 7200. These guys are traveling amazing distances sometimes more than 60 miles to kill rams.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Far View Post
I would take a look at the Kifaru packs. Especially if you ever want to live out of your pack for more than a week and still bring the animal back. Check out the guys from the Proving trail adventures they are crazy. They haul 130lb loads of sheep for sometimes 3 days using the Kifaru 7200. These guys are traveling amazing distances sometimes more than 60 miles to kill rams.
I once had to pack out a 5 day pack and a live 95 lb. sick German Shepard, 7 miles. It was rough. I'm glad those guys from Proving Trail Adventures are doing the testing. I'd say that's a pretty good test! I'll check it out.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Are there any packs that are sort of an all in one? Something that can be a heavy hauler and hold enough gear for 10 days and then break down/compress into a lightweight day pack, all while being comfortable with a load? I was thinking a badlands sacrifice with a frame might work for that. Any suggestions for something like that?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 PM

I purchased a J34 Eberlestock "Just one" pack for this hunting season. I packed out my elk with it and it did very well. I had tested it on a 5 mile hike with #75 lbs before season, it handled the weight well. It handled elk quarters with no problem. I went with the J34 because it was affordable on a limited budget. The pack can expand with a spike duffle and the rifle scabbard comes in handy too! I was looking at the MR packs, but didn't have the extra money for those, kinda spendy...my .02 cents
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 AM

Another one for the Dana, I have a pre-Marmot Astralplane that has done great on some 130+ loads. I would like a better suspension at times so have had my eye on a Mystery Ranch, an updated version of the original Dana Designs.

If I had a bottomless wallet I might look at a McHale, they seem to have a small, dedicated following.

I like the idea of the Stone Ridge Terminus, it is light and looks like it tested tough. A bit less weight is good if it does not sacrifice strength. I often go through my Dana trying to find what I forgot in it only to realize it is just heavy.

I know Barney's out of Anchorage has a good following, heavy but tough.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 AM

Been looking at the Tenzing TZ 5000, anyone have any experience w/this pack or any of Tenzing's products?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Bronze Member

I used an Eberlestock J34 on a CO elk hunt this year. I packed in about 60 lbs of gear for 2+ miles and it performed well. I didn't get an elk, but I'm sure it would have done just fine packing one out. It can certainly carry more than I'm capable of handling. At 61years of age, backpack hunting is getting harder. Although I will use a Cabela's Pack Vest for my daypack needs, the J34 also works well as a daypack.