Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

Any thoughts on the Eberlestock Warhammer or Blue Widow? Both are in a better price range for me over the others suggested but seem like they may fit the bill. . .

Old 09-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

"They" say the eberlstocks start to break down about 75lbs + . Belts start to fold and give hot spots. I'm too tall for them anyway so I will never gey to see for myself. I'm looking at a new pack by Stone Glacier. They are not shipping yet but see to be the ticket for me. Waiting to see their spotter pocket and a few field reports before I jump off as I don't have to have it for this season. The new Kiui packs are suposed to have cured their frame issues but are not light enough for me to jump from kifaru.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Does the Badlands 2800 do any better with these heavy loads?

Really would like to step up into the Kifaru or MR class but $500+ is hard to come up with. Those in the $300 range would be more attainable.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Don't know about tje badlands. A good place to ask would be rokslide forum. It is all about diy backpack hunting.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

How tall are you? The 2200 is a better bag for packing or will give shoulder lift. The thing about Badlands is they break alot. Even with Kifaru packs which I feel are well worth the money I use my Horn Hunter Full Curl alot. USA made, lifetime warranty, and better than Eberlestock and Badlands (Vietnam made) packs. Find one that fits you well! Your trips will be much more comftorble.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

The Eberlestock packs can swap out the hip belts. You can buy standard length, and large length hip belts with extra padding. Have a large, extra padded belt on my J107 to fit over my cold weather clothes. Running 60 lbs in my J107 on training hikes (approx 3 miles, 2x per week) with zero issues.

Hopefully will prove/disprove any issues over 75 lbs in about 4 weeks...
Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 AM

I've been using Eberlestock Dragonfly and Blue Widow. Then I saw this pack. It's on my list of "new gear for 13' ".

Stone Glacier Ultralight Backpacks

The guy that designed them knows a few things about extreme lightweight hunting "go in light come out heavy".

I've pushed the limits on Eberlestock packs hiking out with Moose hind quarters pushing 100 lb. plus. I've started testing packs by using 25 lb. sand bags and progressing to 100 lb. to see where the comfort levels of the packs are and the weight limits of the packs.

Think about if you ever do a solo hunt and have to carry everything with you that you'll need then carry out a boned out animal. Or possibly a time where you will hike Moose or Caribou quarters over several miles or a large Brown Bear hide. Find a pack you like and see if you can borrow the model your looking at buying or see if the manufacturer will loan a pack out to test.

Last edited by AnchAK; 09-15-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: more info