Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

So I'm looking for a pack to go in light and come out heavy. I'm not sure which pack will do what I'm after though. I'm looking to pack Elk quarters mostly.

I've looked into the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, Eberlestock's various Packs, Badlands, etc, etc. I want something with load hauling designed into it and that has useable load lifters in the shoulder straps (I'm 5'10" with a 19.5" torso).

Which pack would you suggest and why?

Thanks and God bless you all!

Adam

Old 09-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

Kifaru's are great and if you are on a tight budget look for a Dana Designs external frame pack
Tim
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

I think Mystery Ranch has the best suspension/frame system, with Eberle coming in a close second. The rest of them are trying to cut weight to sell a nice lite pack, well that is all good with 40 lbs. But hauling heavy loads lighter built packs FAIL. Which Mystery Ranch or Eberle is up to you, just make sure which ever you choose that it has their best suspension/frame system (which will be a 8-10 lb. pack empty) and you wont regret it when the meat is on your back.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I use a Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly, and like it. It has an adjustable suspension system, so you can tailor it to your torso size and comfort. Like Idaho Sawyer mentioned, a pack that will hold up to a heavy load isn't going to be ultra light unloaded in the first place. I have hauled out elk quarters and heads with no issues other than being exhausted from the hike afterwards.
Eberlestock's motto is "Go in light, come out heavy" While this pack is good for that, I often joke with my buddy that I "go in heavy, and come out heavier" when using my back for backpack hunts. In other words, there is lots of room to pack stuff, some gear that isn't even really necessary . The detachable fanny pack is nice for ditching your gear and just taking the essentials when going on a stalk.The only thing I wish the 107 had was some internal organizational pockets for smaller items such as knives, gps, calls etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Bronze Member

Check out Kuiu packs as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Another Kifaru or Horn Hunter Full Curl.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Kifaru duplex frame and pack system. The best period. Know a guy who packed out a 210lb man who had broke his ankle 4 miles back in a wilderness area. Pack was fine but his legs were not. Weekend before last a guy on another site packed put a full moose cape ( whole hide with hoves ) , 173lbs no problems.