Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Getting High on VO2Max

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't run anymore.
My main goal is to just keep moving fast enough that the buzzards don't land and start pecking me.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

I actually quit drinking beer for 4 months!!!!! to get ready for my trip,,and walked uphill everyday..Lost 15 lbs..worked out..felt like superman,,Had to wait on my #%#*@# guide the whole freakin time,,Just take your time move slow, be confident and thorough,,and you should have oppurtunities,,always catch your breath before taking shot...No need to kill yourself excercising just be healthy...
Lowcountrywildlifemanagement@gmail.com
Genesis 9;2
Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

Interesting thing is.... The oxygen concentration is the same at any altitude. The change of pressure is what makes breathing difficult. 21% at sea level, 21% at any altitude...

Sorry, had to dime in from a Respiratory Therapist point of view. Great post though BB.

PA02= (Pb-PH20)Fio2-PaCO2(1.25)

Equation not really important if you take my word on the above, but if anyone is interested I can explain further.

Well I already have the itch....
Barometric pressure decreases with an increase in altitude. Density of gases surrounding the earth decreases with increased altitude. When this happens the partial pressure exerted by each gas also decreases.

As for the equation......
Sea level
PAO2=(760mmHg-47mmHg).21-40(1.25)
PAO2=99.73

With altitude, remember Pb (barometric pressure) decreases.
PAO2=(600mmHg-47mmHg).21-40(1.25)
PAO2=66.13

Further, PAO2 is the partial pressure of oxygen in the alveoli. Diffusion is the passive movement of gas molecules from an area of high partial pressure to an area of low partial partial until both areas are equal in pressure.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Sooooo, is blood doping illegal? Or is it just illegal (unallowed) for competitive sports? What are the risks and side effects of blood doping?

Just to clarify, I'm not personally interested, just curious. I live at 6200 feet and play at 7500+ feet and have other limiting issues besides VO2 Max (like the spare tire I insist on carrying every where I go).
Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The oxygen concentration is the same at any altitude.
Well that is what happens when an engineer decides to discuss the biological sciences. Things get a little goofy.

Apparently in your field, "concentration" means something different than in mine. In water, we talk about "concentration" as mass per unit volume. Whereas from the limited reading I did last night, the people who specialize in human physiology talk about "concentration" as the ratio of substances which is what you are saying.

Anyway, I am just happy people read and think about it before going hunting.

Rymart

The last I knew blood doping was only illegal for competition. Blood doping is basically a transfusion of your red blood cells. However, it was not clear if it was effective. I got a PM from another physiologist who said that the oxygen transfer was more affected by things other than the number of red blood cells. So once again I conclude that it is not good to take medical advice from an engineer.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Bronze Member

Most importantly, BB I thought what you wrote was great. As far as concentrations, I don't know if i'm even smart enough to dig too deep into that sort of thing. I just know that our earths O2 percentage was 21%, Nitrogen 78%, Argon .98%, Carbon dioxide .03%. That doesn't change with altitude. But the density changes.

As far as blood doping, it won't help an out of shape person keep up with an in shape person up a mountain at altitude. It does help the body's oxygen carrying capability, only by increasing the number of Hemoglobin. But if the body already has an adequate number of hemoglobin than it really isn't going to help too much. Would it help an anemic person, well heck ya!

Further to make people more confused, or understand.....
The advantage of an increased oxygen carrying capacity in blood doping is offset by the increased viscosity of the blood when the hematocrit reaches about 55-60 percent. Because of the increased viscosity of the blood, a greater driving pressure is needed to maintain a given flow. The work of the right and left ventricles of the heart must increase in order to generate the pressure needed to overcome the increased viscosity. Basically leading to heart problems.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

Most importantly, BB I thought what you wrote was great. As far as concentrations, I don't know if i'm even smart enough to dig too deep into that sort of thing. I just know that our earths O2 percentage was 21%, Nitrogen 78%, Argon .98%, Carbon dioxide .03%. That doesn't change with altitude. But the density changes.

As far as blood doping, it won't help an out of shape person keep up with an in shape person up a mountain at altitude. It does help the body's oxygen carrying capability, only by increasing the number of Hemoglobin. But if the body already has an adequate number of hemoglobin than it really isn't going to help too much. Would it help an anemic person, well heck ya!

Further to make people more confused, or understand.....
The advantage of an increased oxygen carrying capacity in blood doping is offset by the increased viscosity of the blood when the hematocrit reaches about 55-60 percent. Because of the increased viscosity of the blood, a greater driving pressure is needed to maintain a given flow. The work of the right and left ventricles of the heart must increase in order to generate the pressure needed to overcome the increased viscosity. Basically leading to heart problems.