Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Getting back into hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Getting back into hunting

Lately I've been mostly into hunting steel plate and clays. Trying to get back into hunting and am looking for folks to party up with for an safe and good time in the outdoors as the folks I used to hunt with are now not able to hunt due to age and mobility issues.

I'm in N. Idaho and have all my own EQ for hunting and backpack hunting. I have packs, tents, and an 12 man Kifaru tipi with wood stoves.

These days I am an aspiring bladesmith/knifemaker, history fan/buff, and student of bushcraft and primitive skillsets. These are my interests besides going hunting.

Yes I've had some training and have attended Shawn Carlock's class as well.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Getting back into hunting

I'm over in Washington, across the border - about a three hour drive from the Spokane area.

Do a little fly fishing over in Idaho time to time, but haven't hunted anything there aside from some varmint shoots down in south Idaho. You've got some great country over there in Idaho, and lots of whitetail deer and a surprising number of those moose critters! I get over and camp/hike/fish in the Lolo Pass area pretty much every summer.

There's lots of hunters in North Idaho, West Montana, Eastern Washington you should be able to hook up with.

Best of Luck! Guy

Last edited by Guy M; 05-24-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

Re: Getting back into hunting

Indeed there are pleny of moose around the area where I live and I've had them in my yard. Also I have elk hang out right behind my property but it is quite brushy but makes for some good cross canyon shooting.

I've done some trekking in the Selway/Lolo Pass area and found some really good fishing back in there, but the hunting is not worth it due to predation problems. I live an hop skip and jump away from the St. Joe river and will load up my Yamaha TW 200 with racks and dualsport over there and spend time there to fish and just hang out to unwind.