Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Flashlight for multiple day backpack hunt???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 AM

Re: Flashlight for multiple day backpack hunt???

Take a look at the Saint by Surefire. Or peek at the Petzle brand lights! Super small built to last like Surefire!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM

Petzel LED headlamp. 3 fresh AAA bats before every hunt and no worries. Hands free, light, put it around your neck in the late afternoon so you have it when you need. 3 oz. lasts at least a week of significant use. Great stocking stuffers for others as well. $40.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Usually I carry an small one CR123 battery Nova Tac in my pocket at all times. That's daily carry.

If I go out and into the brush I like to carry an headlamp as it allows handsfree operation. I prefer that my headlamp run on AA batteries.

What I use is the Petzl MYO XP. It uses 3 AA batteries and lasts forever. It's spendy at $85 but it is one of the better pieces of gear I have.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

For hunting as a flashlite I found the flashlite without batteries to work the best.
No need for batteries, and all you have to do is shake or pump, or squize (dynamo flashlite)

Dynamo Flashlights

I have one in my cars, trailer, backpack. Works great.
just under $20.00/device
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

I'm going to throw my 2cents in too here. I make a living working in rural areas in the middle of the night. So, when it came to a backpack flashlight it was a "no brainer" for me. I use an LED flashlight and LED headlamp. I also like my Surefire 126 Lumen tactical light for the times when I need a bright white beam in a small package.
The LED lights have gotten much better since they first came out and they run for ever on not much battery life.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

Guys,
thank you all for the replies, it is all very interesting and usefull information. As I already have a AA Princeton Tec headlamp I think I will buy a LED flashlight as a better light and back up light.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

I generaly wear a headlamp with a red bulb, 2 blue bulbs and a white bulb with a selector swich. It runs on tripple A batteries wich I stock up on before every hunting or camping trip. I never use the white bulb, but I use the heck out of the red! It is alot easier on your eyes, and pupil recovery time seems signifigantly less. I find this important around dawn. Red doesnt seem to spook ducks off the water like the white or blue, and in elk camp the red doesnt seem to keep others in the wall tent awake if you wanna read. The blue light is kinda handy if your walkin out in Pitch black conditions, or for an edge for keeping your fingers, splitting kindeling at 3 am cause you forgot to dampen the stove..... oops! But other than that we have a couple lanterns at camp, and one ''Royinidaho special'' shake up flashlight just cause theyre kinda neat. But the headlamp fits in your moccisons, or cott pouch, or sleeping bag pockett for the ''midnight urge'' when your bladder is screamin at you to get your butt outa bed NOW moments. Not to mention its alot easier NOT to wizz on your moccison when you dont have to fiddle with the ''Royinidaho special''. Besides you only need to shake one thing at a time or confusion could set in, thus the wet moccison. I here Roy sometimes wizzes on his feet just to keep em warm tho, and uses a spruce bow backwards for....Well Im not sayin there wasnt a bear in Roys camp, but those noises couldve just as easily been Roy growling...I Wish I was that tough.....Sorry Roy, You left the door WIDE OPEN on your last post, and I couldnt refrain.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"