Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Flashlight for multiple day backpack hunt???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Flashlight for multiple day backpack hunt???

Hello guys,
Was wondering what flashlights do you use for multiple day backpack hunting? What technical properties do you think are important in a flashlight for this kind of trip? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Flashlight for multiple day backpack hunt???

I pack a small cabelas, 3 3/4" led, with 2 setttings, and a head lamp small led also. Usually get me all season, went 56 days this year. If I am hiking grizz area I ALSO pack the small surefire 65 lume, I JUST POP it on crossing high mtn basins or if I HEAR BEARS WOOFIN
Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
Hello guys,
Was wondering what flashlights do you use for multiple day backpack hunting? What technical properties do you think are important in a flashlight for this kind of trip? Thanks for the help.

You mean 'Which headlamp?'.

-LED(s) that can switch from long range spot to close range, low power flood
-waterproof rating of IPX7
-many headlamps nowadays are going to AAA batts to save weight as the LEDs consume so little energy compared to the older generation krypton or halogen bulbs, however, I still prefer headlamps using AA batts and then that is the only kind of extra batt I need to carry for headlamp and gps. You can make up the weight difference by using the, albeit more expensive, but much longer lasting and working better in cold weather, energizer lithium AA batts. I will often get 2-3 wks of overnight tripping/misc other use out one set of batts, almost negating the need for carrying spares. But, a good headlamp with plenty of power (3W longrange bulb mode and several smaller LED's for low power close in mode) and long batterylife (AA's again) can literally be worth it's weight in gold in the backcountry, climbing or hunting, backpadking, sea kayaking, etc.

Still prefer a headlamp powered by 4 AA's with a separate longragne 3W LED mode and several smaller LED's for close up work mode to conserve energy. Don't care for headlamps powered by other batts because AA's are the most prevalent battery out there and the mom and pop down the hill from where you are hunting may not carry the special lithium battery or the AAA's many new headlamps use.

Just my opinion from over quite awhile of using many headlamps and currently owning several different types. You'll get plenty of opinions on this question.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 12-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

I use a Petzl head lamp that I have had for years. 4 AA batteries duel lens with zoom on the larger lens. Also use the old Mini Mag compact flashlights (2 AA)when backpacking along with the headlamp. Full size Mag Lite in the saddle bags and in the truck. Have had these lights for many years. Works for me.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

I tend to have anxiety problems when it comes to batteries for electronics or lamps when in the mountains.

Rechargeable batteries don't hold charge well when cold. Regular batteries can't be recharted.

I carry 2 extras for the LRF. I have a cap with 3 LEDs built into it. When the batteries die the cap is useless.

For the last 3 years I've carried a fairly inexpensive wind up batteryless multiple setting LED hand held. Its been scoffed at by some to the extent that you knew a bear was in camp when alerted by ol' Roy winding his light.

Had to tighten the screws a couple of times but she's still working. Plenty of light for walking in the darkness. Spots eyes at a decent distance. Doesn't do much more than that.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

I use two LED head lamps powered by 3 AAA batterys each.

I use one headlamp all the time and keep the other in the pack as a backup.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

This is my favorite one on the market right now. I've had it for about 3 yrs or so, I think: Apex | Princeton Tec

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl