Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

First Aid kit contents?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 AM

First Aid kit contents?

Hi Guys!

As a member if my local Hunting and Conservation group, there are only two mandatory items you have to have carry with you at all times when on project. One is a handheld UHF CB radio (with hand mike and earpiece - don't want to scare the varmints! ) and a first aid kit.

Now sometimes we go out for a day and sometimes 7-10 days.

I am thinking of making 2 kits and I'm wondering what you backpack hikers include in yours?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
mine has the usual.....

bandages (small and large) , a good supply of medications that you use IE: painkiller, anti inflamitory, like IBU...antibiotic cream, a bit of liniment, some antacid, immodium, and anything else more specific to your needs.i also like to have a thing called a skeeter stick (for bug bites).i am allergic to bee stings so i carry an injectable epi-kit.some good tape.i also carry a suture kit.never had to use it yet but you never know.an ace bandage comes in handy sometimes....

i would carry the same kit for either long or short durations.just because you are not going to be out long doesnt mean bad stuff wont happen..the tape and ace bandage works well for splinting a broken leg or such.....think about things that are likely to happen and reverse plan for them...for instance if you are in country that has poisonous snakes you may want to take something specific for snake bite. there was a lot of discussion a few yrs back about shock treatment for snake bite. i treated a neighbor's dog once that was bit by a rattlesnake with shock therapy from a car ignition.(spark plug wire hooked to a jumper cable). when i got there the dog was lethargic, drooling, couldnt even lift his head. after we treated him he was up and walking and drinking water, so i think it worked...a lot of bird dog hunters carry a small powered battery operated stun gun just for this purpose....hope this helps AJ
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Superglue, It's always handy.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Just like alot of other things, what equipment you should pack depends largely on your ability to use those things correctly. If you want to be more effective at first aid, i'd suggest taking some classes rather than worrying about what's in your kit, if you're well trained you can improvise the equipment and be much more effective than a guy who has a paramedic kit and no idea what to do with it. That's coming from an Navy FMF infantry Corpsman, and we are the kings of first aid.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Moleskin, Moleskin, Moleskin!!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
Moleskin, Moleskin, Moleskin!!!!!

Notebooks?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan View Post
Superglue, It's always handy.

OK, I admit, I'm curious! What have you needed it for that is first aid related?