Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Exercise for arthritic knees?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 07:37 PM
PUBLISHER

Exercise for arthritic knees?

I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Len, I'm 53 last year I thought I tore the ACL in my left knee,went to Dr. and got a MRI he said no torn ligaments,But lots of Arthritis. I don't know if that was good news or not? I'v been riding a bicycle quite a bit I think that helps. Plus the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Just my thoughts,Randy
Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM
PUBLISHER

I take that stuff, too. I think I'll email my Doc and see what he says. He is the arthropod for the GB Packers.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Bronze Member

Fat tub o' goo here, found that Krill oil REALLY helped, got from Mercola.com and it did as he said it would, helped in less than three weeks. Background, tore up left knee, two arthroscopic "geniuses" worked on it, no help. Right knee screwed up during rehab for total hip replacement on same leg. Tried MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, etc. The Krill oil did the most good. No pain killers now, just need to remove the weight so that the knees have a chance to heal. +1 on the bike, no shock to the knee and keeps them moving so the body can send something in to heal, no blood in cartilage and ligaments. I think only the interstitial fluid brings whatever repairs joints. Also recc. prayer to the great physician.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Len anthing that you take is just gonna make the pain easier but as long as their is arthritis their its gonna cause some disscomfort. Are you taking any precribed meds for it like Celibrex? a good "NSAID" that Non Steroidal Anti Inflamitory Drug , like Naproxon sodium (Alive) will also help because its the inflamation thats causing the disscomfort. The trouble with most NSAID's is that they generaly are kinda rough on the gutt so if you could get a good prescribed drug that would work better more than likely , and it would/could be taken everyday as a maintainence drug and on the days that your gonna train or hunt or what ever you take the extra over the counter mads to help back up the inflamation.
Also rubbing the joint down with a good topical rub like Capsation-P works well for arthitis
NOTE : wash your hands VERY well after applying this or better yet use rubber gloves , if you rub your eye or touch "Big Jim and the Twins" and their is any trace of it their you will be crying , its the same compound used in peper spray!! and another note the wife will not be happy if their is any trace of it on your hands and their is any fooling around later (trust me on this one)

As far as exercises , anyhting that stress the joint at all , like walking , biking is gonna cause it yo hrt some , things like swimming are better then cycling as they are far less impact to the joint.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 PM
PUBLISHER

I am allergic to all the NSAID's, my eyes swell. Doctor said next time my throat may swell shut. That got my attention. Interesting about the bike idea.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I had my right knee scoped 14 months ago, doing well. But last fall in Montana I couldn't walk as far or fast as I used to. Both 62 year old knees have significant arthritis.

What is an exercise that would reduce arthritic discomfort associated with extended hiking up and down.
You need to get your M.D. to write a prescription for physical therapy-water therapy. There are also new injectable joint fluid replacement agents that can work fairly well ( e.g., SUPARTZ).

Ultimately, total joint replacement is the only permanent relief.