Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Equipment for Backpack Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting these websites. Maybe I can cut some more weight. My setup changes significantly from September weather to say mid October when the snow flies hard in the high country. In September I like a bivy sack with very minimal gear. Sometimes only a light down bag weighing 2 3/4 pounds placed under a thick spruce where limited moisture can hit me. When the snow flies I go to a 3 man tent weighing just over 5 pounds. It has plenty of room to set all my stuff out and dry my clothes. A comfy stay dry camp is critical this time of year. Lightweight down bags help tremendously but they must be kept dry therefore the nice tent.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

At least most of the new down bags have a gortex or similar wp outer layer.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, my opinion is that down bags are the way to go if you want max comfort with min weight. Look for 700 fill power or better and a water resistant breathable shell. My elk hunting bag is a -30 rated Feathered Friends 800+ down fill power. Made to fit my body dimensions, it's got a bout 12" of loft and compresses down to the size of a volleyball. With it's nearly waterproof and breathable shell and at about 3 lbs, it's pretty hard to beat a comfortable, compressible, quality down bag.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 12-01-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-02-2007, 02:27 AM

Lookin' to lighten your water purifier load? I just picked up one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/750366

So far I love it and no major drawbacks yet. They even make a solar charger for it.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_compleqs View Post
Lookin' to lighten your water purifier load? I just picked up one of these: SteriPEN Adventurer Water Purifier from REI.com

So far I love it and no major drawbacks yet. They even make a solar charger for it.
That looks interesting!

I'm not too fond of those batteries though.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Good suggestions

I'll add a +1 to devildoc's suggestions on water. I've found I can easily go through 2-3 quarts/liters a day out in the high country. That's 5-6 lbs of extra weight. I cut that down to a liter or so in country in which I know I can find water so the net savings is only 2-3 lbs. but every bit counts. Using the tablets cuts down on weight too and water filters don't work anyway when frozen.

One thing I do with my pack is tamper with the contents as little as possible. I go through my checklist at the beginning of the season, pack it and never use it for anything else. I reserve one pocket for items that are continually replaced, like snack bars and other food and otherwise only replace things like flashlight and GPS batteries as needed. (I was out after dark 3X this year). I find that the overall weight isn't that much but it's amazing how many items you need to have - from the 2' of electrical tape wound round my bone saw to the tag zipped up inside my jacket pocket.

One thing I carry is an Otis flexible cleaning cable with a patch already on it. Coiled up, it takes up very little space and doesn't way that much. If you ever get snow or debris in the barrel that might be the end of your day in the woods.

Jon
Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

There's some good stuff here. Chain had it right on that first response - weight is everything. Weight and comfort.

A man can carry a heavy load - but why? It just slows a hunter down.

Down bag. A bivvy bag. Light & comfortable boots. A small efficient stove like the MSR Whisperlite... Depending on where you're hunting there may not be much need to carry a lot of water. A good filter or purification tablets helps a lot.

Strong second on Public Land Mulies by David Long. It covers all this and more. He's pretty sharp for a young pup! I've sure never shot a deer as big as his...

Regards, Guy