Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Equipment for Backpack Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Gold Member

Equipment for Backpack Hunting

I am from Fl and am I love hunting the hills out west. This past year in Idaho I got a rude awakening. I am in great shape for FL, but found I needed to work on my legs alot more for walking up those steep mountains for a week. I also needed a better backpack for hauling out meat as well as better fitting boots.
I had a great hunt, and shot a nice 5x5 mulie at 350yds while he was bedded, but we hiked in and out every day and stayed in a hotel. We hunted walk-in only areas and walked many miles a day, mostly up and down .
Much of the walking was in and out of the areas to get away from the other hunters who were closer to the roads.

It would be great to be able to hike out and stay out for a while.

What equipment would you experienced backpack hunters recommend?

We may even need to start a separtate thread for different equipment. Backpacks, tents, sleepingbags,etc.

Thanks

Last edited by RockZ; 11-29-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

backpacking

I am not an expert but coming to Colorado from Michigan and hiking here, I have picked up a few things. Weight is everything and how it rides on your body is important also. Do you hike or jog with a pack on at home? If you don't have hills do stairs and lots of them and sand. When I got back into shape a couple years ago I point of working out when I was tired to stretch my stamina a bit. I would also shoot my bowand .22 after working out, concentrating on my form. Carry only what you need. Water will be the heaviest thing you will carry. I have an Alaska Pack from Cabelas. I am sure that there are better ones out there but it has served me well and it fits me. I am tall and some packs are just too short.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Here is a great start

RockZ,

Check these guys out.
KIFARU HUNTING & MILITARY GEAR
IMHO, this is the best gear for "High and Back". It's all made here in the U.S., and the customer service is excellent. Here is a picture of my camp this past fall,

Total weight is maybe 4 lbs. I can up it by two more pounds and have a heated shelter. But so far I haven't had the need for the stove.
I bought a book titled, " Public Land Mulies" by David Long. It is an excellent book on tactics and gear for the high country. Hope this helps you out.

Shawn

Last edited by ST42; 11-29-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Forgot a link
Old 11-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

As was already said, water is what costs you the most in weight. My solution is to carry coffee filters, a funnel, a collapsable water jug and micropure water purification tabs. This is by far the lightest and best purification method I have found, not to mention cheapest. Even the several hundred dollar water "purifiers" won't get rid of some casts, the micropure tabs kill EVERYTHING. And the whole package weighs less than most purifiers, I stuff all my water stuff inside my backpacking pots so it doesn't cost any room either. Carrying an extra camelback bladder is also a good Idea. With this system I can get to where I want to make camp on a single camelback and then purify enough water to last my stay and trip back once I set up camp. Just melt snow, find a creek etc., then let the water sit for 10-15mins to let the big sediment settle out, pour the water through the coffee filter/funnel into the collapsable water jug, then add the appropriate number of tabs for the volume of water. Only other important tip is: Keep your camp water jug in the tent, and not completely full at night so you don't split the jug if it freezes.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Gold Member

Guys,
thanks for some great ideas.
i'm getting ready for next year.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

You already found just about the best site for what you are thinking of doing: Kifaru.net. I did not like the fact that their tents didn't have floors and so I've made a couple of Tipi tents from scratch that do have floors. They have worked out great the past couple of seasons using the Kifaru parastove. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 PM

I'm a fan of using a bivvy sack...cuts down on the weight and gives me enough shelter for what i do and its as easy as setting out your sleeping bag to set up or put away to stay mobile. Also platypus makes some large water packs that have a large ziplock closure that work great when you set up for camp or need to make a trip to get a good amount of water!