Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Elk Camps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillajam View Post
I'm planning an elk hunting trip for 2009 in CO. and we have not yet decided how we want to do our camp. I know there are tons of ways to go about it that's why I'd like to hear about your ELK CAMPS.

If you can, post some pics of your elk camp.

If no pics just tell us what makes your camp YOUR CAMP!!!!!!!!

I'm interested to see the different ways you all go about it. Maybe I'll even steal some ideas.
------------------------------------------------------------

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 06-23-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM

JMDEN,
I really like your tent. How does it work for you? Is is tuff to regulate the heat in a small space? How much does the tent cost and also how much does it weigh?
Thanks, Bigsky
Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Bronze Member

?

JMDEN, Tell us about the tent! Does the mfg'r have other sizes, options (water-proof flys, etc) ?

Jim
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
JMDEN,
I really like your tent. How does it work for you? Is is tuff to regulate the heat in a small space? How much does the tent cost and also how much does it weigh?
Thanks, Bigsky

JMDEN, Tell us about the tent! Does the mfg'r have other sizes, options (water-proof flys, etc) ?

Jim

------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys. Here's a link to some more info on the tent:

Tents for backpacking...

6.5 pounds with custom, adj. center pole and 16 stakes--just 'prototypes'...a few little bugs to work out if I was to make another one.

It's made out of 1.1oz silicon imprenated nylon ripstop. Superlight. Essentially same stuff that Kifaru uses. Totally watertight fabric and I seal the seams with McNett Silnet. Tent can leak around chimney. But if stove is running, that's really not a problem. If the stove is not running, there's an sewn in integral cover that goes over the stovejack---if look closely in pics, you can see it wrapped and velcroed around the point of the tent. Just unvelcro it, take down the chimney, and cover the stovejack. Velcro on edge of stovejack keep cover in place.

I'm the manufacturer... I just wanted a tent that did what the Kifaru tipi tents do, but had a few other options like better venting, integral floor and a design that would keep the bugs out. So far, so good. It cost me about $150 or less in materials to make the tent and I think the stove is about $300 at Kifaru.net. I'd have to charge a chunk of change to make it worth my time to make on of these--as much or more than Kifaru tipi tents go for. I'm not sure I even want to consider that.

No problem to regulate heat as the Kifaru Parastove I'm using is 'damperable'. Most of the SS stove and a good portion of the SS chimney will glow red hot when you're really firing it. On occasion, flame will shoot out the top of the stack a foot or so. First time that happened to me out in the wilderness by myself in the dark (as this pulsating glow is right over my head outside the tent and for a moment I had no basis whatsoever to identify what it was...) gave me quite a start, but it's normal for these stoves.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 01-10-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

Very cool. How long did that take you to make. I bet the snow slides right off. Good job.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillajam View Post
Very cool. How long did that take you to make. I bet the snow slides right off. Good job.

Thanks, hillajam. Since it's a 'first of it's kind' prototype, it probably took much longer than if I started to make them regualrly--probably 40 hrs at least all told. Alot of scale drawing to make sure of certain dimensions before I started to cut the first panels, etc. Everything is totally designed from scratch and you run into problems along the way and have to change this or that. But, it's working very well now and I've got my very lightweight, warm elk camp!...with a floor and bugproof and some adj. venting, unlike Kifaru designs. I posted a couple of pics on Hunting Backpacking Equipment, etc. pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots of the first one I made last year, both designs are very different. The silnylon is very slick and rain and snow seem to just slide right off as you mention.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member

Well guys I'll add one more question to all of you.

What to you, are the most important things to bring to camp with you?