Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Eberlestock X1 for packing a deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 03:52 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Eberlestock X1 for packing a deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydleier View Post
I would suggest trying as many as possible before you make a purchase and see what works the best for you.
Syd

I would love to be able to do just that except I cannot seem to find any local dealers that carry Eberlestock packs. It looks like I am stuck with buying online.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

I'd consider the J34. I had an X1E and ended up selling it to buy the J34. Both are nice, but the expansion capability of the J34 is really nice when packing heavy or bulky loads. I also like the convenience of the two wing pockets better than the layout of the XI packs, and the weight isn't that much different. I've had loads near 100lbs in mine more comfortably than I'd have believed possible. I use mine for everything I want more than 1300cu for.

Both of these packs are fairly wide, something to consider if you carry your rifle on a sling very often. If you use the scabbard they are real comfortable.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks McSeal the more I research the different packs the more I think I want to go for a pack will do all I want. The J34 may be more than I need for packing out a whitetail, but will be much better suited for my elk hunt plans. I have always hunted with a sling on my rifles, but I usually would only attach my sling while dragging a deer out. I liked to have my rifle in hand and ready for a quick shot if need be. I do like the idea of using the scabbard for hands free hiking into the woods in the dark.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

From what you said there, you would love the J34. I use mine whitetail hunting during out December season all the time. It's extra capacity lets me carry my bulky Wooltimate outer layers into the stand in my pack so I don't sweat on the walk in, then put them on.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

I had the X1 and packed out an elk with it, it worked but I would suggest a pack with some sort of frame, I upgraded to the X2 and love the frame in it, wish I could upload pics from my phone onto here
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Bronze Member

O.K. guys thanks to your help, and advice I just ordered the J34 model. Hopefull I will be shareing some photos of packing out a nice whitetail come December.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydleier View Post
A few of the Mystery Ranch packs sit on you hips a little better and might be a better choice for packing out an elk, but then your have your rifle on your shoulder with a sling.
All in all I've tried both packs and the Mystery Ranch distributed the weight better onto your hips, but then you have to carry your rifle. Syd
What Syd says about the Mystery Ranch is dead on. I might add that with the Mystery Ranch look at a Kifaru Gunbearer - no more rifle in your hands/shoulder while packing meat.

There are a lot of guys up here using the Kifaru with the Mystery Ranch and it is a great combination. Now you just have to swallow the initial purchase cost of the pack.