Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Eberlestock X1 for packing a deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 AM
Bronze Member

Eberlestock X1 for packing a deer

First off this is my first post, and I have been reading through alot of the old threads and gathering information. This site seems like a great resource.

There are some deep remote valleys I would like to hunt, but the thoughts of dragging a deer back to the truck keep me out of these areas. I am looking for suggestions on a pack I should use for packing in a few miles into the mountains for a dayhunt, and hopefully bringing out a boned out deer. From the searches I have done on this site so far I am pretty sure Eberlestock is the brand to go with. I am willing to take any and all advice on other packs

Will the X1 do what I want, or would the j107 be a better fit for my needs? I guess I should mention I am planning an elk hunt in a few years. We plan to set up a base camp and hike in to hunt. I am not opposed to buying 2 packs for the different styles of hunting, but one pack would sure be more cost effective.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Brian
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Eberlestock X1 for packing a deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsdad View Post
First off this is my first post, and I have been reading through alot of the old threads and gathering information. This site seems like a great resource.

There are some deep remote valleys I would like to hunt, but the thoughts of dragging a deer back to the truck keep me out of these areas. I am looking for suggestions on a pack I should use for packing in a few miles into the mountains for a dayhunt, and hopefully bringing out a boned out deer. From the searches I have done on this site so far I am pretty sure Eberlestock is the brand to go with. I am willing to take any and all advice on other packs

Will the X1 do what I want, or would the j107 be a better fit for my needs? I guess I should mention I am planning an elk hunt in a few years. We plan to set up a base camp and hike in to hunt. I am not opposed to buying 2 packs for the different styles of hunting, but one pack would sure be more cost effective.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Brian
I shot a nice fat whitetail doe on Oct. 15. I packed four quarters, two backstraps, two tenderloins and a one gallon ziplock bag full of meat trimmings etc into an X-1 and was able to zip it shut. Along with my ML rifle, the pack weighed 66 lbs. A big mulie? While it was full there was still room for strapping more on the outside if necessary.

The X-1 is a good daypack and yes, you can pack out a deer in it.

I'd probably consider the bigger pack if I planned on using it for an elk hunt, however.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

I have been using a X1 for two years now. I really like it and it handles a 30" barreled rifle well. I feel it s a great day pack also and perfect for deer and antelope packing, but for an elk I would want a larger pack especially if head and horns are included.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

A X1 will do a lot more than you think. My buddy did a desert bighorn fully quartered and skinned out for a full body mount in his x1. I've seen plenty of critters hauled out with an X1. I prefer a gun slinger, its a good inbetween pack for the X1 and dragonfly. It in't giant, but you can put as much meat in it as you will want to haul.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

I dont have a x1 pack but i do have a dragonfly and a just one
and love them both the dragondly is heavier but packs more weight out
I have had over 100 lbs in mine with no problem(boned out mule deer cape and head, sendero rifle and all my misc gear)
I think the dragonfly and the justone packs open up more to get more stuff into it
bottom line is eberlestock packs are nice and will work great for you
There new warhammer pack looks very interesting as well
you will like what ever you get they are good stuff
retiredcpo
Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the replys everyone! That is just the info. I was looking for!

Just for kicks what are your thoughts on the X2 model? It looks like it has a little more options, and capacity for a few more bucks than the X1.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM

The X1 will handle a boned out deer and head no problem, i personally have one and it's great.

The biggest thing in my opinion is if you really want an integrated gun scabbard. A few of the Mystery Ranch packs sit on you hips a little better and might be a better choice for packing out an elk, but then your have your rifle on your shoulder with a sling.

I one tripped out a bull last weekend with a buddy 4 miles with an X1 and he had a Mystery Ranch. Each of our packs was around 125 lbs with meat, rifles, gear, head ect and we were both too beat up to hunt the next day.

All in all I've tried both packs and the Mystery Ranch distributed the weight better onto your hips, but then you have to carry your rifle. Every pack has it's pros and cons I would suggest trying as many as possible before you make a purchase and see what works the best for you. Some packs just fit different peoples frames better. I'm 6' and and I have my X1 set to the longest setting and I'd still love to be able to lower my waist strap another inch or 2.

Just my 2 cents,

Syd