Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Eberlestock vs. Cabela's Outfitter Pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Re: Eberlestock vs. Cabela's Outfitter Pack

I love my J107M. I am 6'0" and my J107 fits me perfect.

Blue Widow or Dragonfly you cant go wrong. My vote is for Eberlestock.

Last edited by edited by; 05-09-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

I got the spike camp duffle for packing and storing camp also. I have the Cabelas Extreme alaskan outfitter pack also and it is nice, but I like the eberlestock much better for hunting. I take the frame from the cabelas pack and keep it in the truck for packing meat out after the first trip with the eberlestock.

If you get the frame pack, it will be bulky and not real comfortable to hunt with. The beauty of the eberlestock is that you can drop camp, zip it up and tighten the straps, and you have a good comfortable daypack to hunt with ready to go. Take a few trash bags to put meat in and you can use the main mesh compartment to pack out some meat the first trip, while packing camp in the duffle.

I still like a external frame like the cabelas pack has better for packing heavy quarters. The eberlestock's design puts the weight further off your back and lower because it's made to pack a rifle close to your back. It's a great design for "one pack for everything" idea, but I think a frame pack is still more comfortable for packing meat. That's why I drop the eberlestock at the truck with the first load and use the frame for the rest.

I'd buy the eberlestock and then try to find a decent frame also. Don't forget to put plenty of bungie straps and cordage on the frame for securing meat, and add a way to carry water.

Last edited by edited by; 05-09-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

+1 on what mcseal2 said

I own both and for "backpack hunt" backpack the Eberlestock is hard to beat and I doubt I would buy another brand for the reasons everyone already mentioned....BUT if you're looking to haul big loads of meat on your back the Cabela's Alaskan Guide frame is the way to go.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

I bought my "Just One" pack direct from Glen Eberle in 2005. The pack is top notch and have since bought yet another Eberlestock pack that too has been carried for miles. I can't tell how many critters I've packed into the Just One, but it does it VERY well.

There is an entire doe mulie in there. Just add water...and some other stuff.

Typical load out configuration. About 40 lbs with much of that a 17 lb rifle!

This load weighed and honest 130 lbs. Note the goofy horns on the buck. I carried this guy just around a mile back to the truck.

This was a 130 to 145 pound load with this young buck. I had to ditch all the gear inside back at the truck and go fetch the deer. I don't remember how far I packed him, but it was uphill both ways!

Doe mulie, same idea as the buck. Just strap the legs in and go!
Need I say more! That ought to be at least 5000 words right there!
Savage/ Broughton 23" .308
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Bronze Member

Wow! You don't like making multiple trips huh? LOL!

Never occured to me to strap a whole intact animal to the pack!

A picture is worth a thousand words, you're right, that's worth about 5000 and certainly a testimony to the quality and durability of an Eberlestock!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

I used to grab 50lb bags of cattle mineral 2 or 3 at a time to load on my truck, but after watching other area ranchers get hernia operations I decided to drop to one at a time. I'd still prefer to quarter an animal, it's to easy to misstep and hurt yourself packing that kind of weight. Your pics do a good job of illustrating how stout both you and the pack are though.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

I figured the buckles or seams would give way after the abuse. Not so. I've crammed it into the washer a bunch, too. Not a single thing wrong with it. I wish half of the stuff we purchase any more had the same quality. Made in the USA used to mean something every time. I wish it still did. More often than not, made in China, designed in USA. I get real tired with crappy stuff falling apart. My Eberlestock packs are the real deal. My wife about shat herself when I bought it. She said it was too pricy for a pack. I told her I'd go get a four wheeler then. I still have yet to buy the quad. You can probably tell I'm satisfied with the pack.
Savage/ Broughton 23" .308