Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Eberlestock Gunrunner - a Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Eberlestock Gunrunner - a Question

Well I talked to my hunting partner last night (he lives in Idaho) and it sounds like the plan for this year is to camp out for the first couple days when I arrive. This means I will need a pack that has a bit more room to carry additional gear. Maybe I need to look at the "Just One" pack although I noticed that it has a mesh front to allow for air flow to cool off meat. I'm not certain if the mesh is strong enough for carrying gear as I have never seen one. Mike
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Your first choice expands way out if necessary, I'd go look at their website for the cubic inch interior dimensions. Far as mear goes, get yourself a couple meat bags and strap the bags on the pack, if necessary.

One issue arises with the bigger packs and that is they don't really work as a day pack, becauer they don't compress fown as compactly.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Field Editor

Mike,

The Just One would be a good fit for what you're describing. It expands big enough to handle your multi-day camp plus it compresses small for day-pack mode.

I've found that the mesh panel holds up fine to carry my camping gear. You end up wrapping the multiple horizontal and vertical compression straps around the back of the mesh panel which gives a lot of support. There is an accessory zip-in solid panel to cover the mesh if you want.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Bronze Member

Andy I think that is the direction I'm headed. It sounds like a good pack. I watched a couple of review videos on YouTube.

Including the muzzle brake the barrel is 27 1/2 inches long. Is the scabbard long enough to handle that?

Mike
Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Field Editor

Yes the scabbard is long enough for your gun Mike.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

The gunrunner is a terrible pack. Its to narrow so it flops around on your back. The gunsligger 1 or 2 are much better options as is the low drag. The just one and slightly more ridgid dragonfly are great as well and either of those would be my choice if planning on taking out the animal with the pack. I have gunrunner in pretty goodshape Id sell you for 50$ if you still wanted one
Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the offer Pyro. After reading the good comments about the J34 I went ahead and ordered one a couple of nights ago. The brown truck is supposed to be here on Wednesday. Thanks everyone for the help on this. Mike