Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Day pack for elk hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Re: Day pack for elk hunt?

Depends how much you want to spend. The Eberlestock X2 is a great daypack. The Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is even better. Neither one come with a gun scabbard but both can still be configured to carry a rifle if need be. Depending on how heavy a load you'll be carrying, the X2 is hard to beat.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM

mystery ranch longbow or metcalf...they are pricey, but can be cinched down to almost nothing while your hunting and can pack out an entire muley boned out or half of an elk if you can carry it.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Does anyone use a regular backpacking pack for hunting? I have tried on quite a few packs that are marketed towards hunting and I just don't like the way they fit.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

Stone Glacier Ultralight Backpacks

Sandman and others-----
Seriously look at Stone Glacier packs. They have been kind of under the mainstream radar but they are absolutely wonderful. I'll give you the website and you can look at the options but I've got an approach pack coming after seeing one of their packs that a buddy of mine has. The nice thing is that you can carry whatever you want in them and the pack starts at 3.5 pounds which is half of what others are. Yes, they are expensive but guess what? They are well made and MADE IN THE USA.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Bronze Member

I have the Eberlestock Dragonfly, and the Gunslinger. I like them both, the Gunslinger is a little more compact and has a wider scabbard which works better with my bulky rifle/optics. The Dragonfly has a ton of storage, but that is also a downfall, as you are more tempted to bring extra goodies that aren't necessary and then end up paying for it on the mountain. Both are excellent options, but I give the edge to the Gunslinger just for the weight and the wider scabbard.

These are all pics of the Dragonfly in different configurations and on different hunts. I just picked up the Gunslinger this year and haven't had it on a big game hunt yet, I have used it on a few coyote hunts, but don't have any pics of it afield. I am really liking it though. I still have the Dragonfly and it is hard to beat for carrying out massive amounts of meat, but I don't have enough self discipline to keep from "over-doing it" on the way in. Good luck this fall!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Nimrod packs where the original gun carry.They make firefighting packs.I use a fanny,they are modular to fit your needs.I have one set up for rifle and one for archery.I have the meat duffle and the alum frame also,lots of accessories also.Used one for 15 yrs
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Nimrod packs where the original gun carry.They make firefighting packs.I use a fanny,they are modular to fit your needs.I have one set up for rifle and one for archery.I have the meat duffle and the alum frame also,lots of accessories also.Used one for 15 yrs
They are pretty durn nice too.....................my only complaint is that they are somewhat heavy. Great company to do business with.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen