Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Colorado Backpack Elk Hunt 08'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 AM
SPONSOR

Colorado Backpack Elk Hunt 08'

Earlier in a thread I was asking for info on elk in CO and now the plans are being set. Depending on whether i draw a muley tag or not me and my cousin will be heading to CO for first or second season elk next fall. So far we are looking at the area above the Valecito resevior just west of pagosa springs. We are gonna use 2 mules to pack into the high country and TRY to get away from other hunters, please dont let me got shot at again!!!!

I am hoping this thread will continually evolve until the hunt and all of yall can help us prep for one hell of a hunt.

This is the evolving equipment list:
2 mules
my eberlestock dragonfly pack
his eberlestock number 1 pack
my 270 Allen Mag
his encore 300win
Kathadin water filter
MRE meals (im burned out on mountain house)
Cabelas Extreme 4 season tent
2 US Military Sleeping System Bags (rated to -30deg)
swaro binos and spotter
Garmin GPS and standard compass navigation by him (ex-USMC)

Im sure im forgetting stuff but thats what i can think of for now.

So you guys tell me what you think about the land, equipment, etc and any tips and advice are more than welcome

We are simply good bull elk hunting, this aint no quest for the next BC record holder.

thanks
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
a few comments....

hi lerch....i have done an awful lot of hunting such as you are describing. I'm gonna suggest that you go in the very first rifle season. weather is usually milder and the bulls are still bugling. all your equipment sounds fine. be sure and have the proper gear to take care of the livestock and have a way to be able to leave them on their own...IE: hobbles, etc.....you wont be using them to hunt, just to pack. make sure you get the proper permits etc for them ....i know that colo requires out of state hunters to do certain things to bring their livestock in to the state.

the next thing i would suggest is meat prep/care items. sometimes the weather at that time of year is fairly warm. you should check into locker plants available in the area in case you need them. normally , quartering and hanging in the shade will suffice.

be prepared for anything....i remember a hunt that first season that almosted ended in disaster when a storm blew in and dumped 3ft of snow in the mtns.....me and a buddy were camping 8 miles in @ 12.000 ft with 3 8yrs old boys....had to leave all our gear there and make our way out on the horses....

if you have any specific ?? let me know if i can help.....good luck and have fun...AJ
Old 12-29-2007, 12:36 PM
SPONSOR

Thanks for the good info so far. My cousin really wants to go during the first season also for the simple fact of weather. I hate the idea of having to pass up a good muley but if it will make a safer trip for us then it sounds like a good idea. Plus it would be great to be up there when they guys are still bugling.

Would the area above Valecito be good?????

thanks
steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Last edited by TennVol; 05-20-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: New info
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

How many days do you plan to hunt?

There are things will help or hinder depending onthe amount of time you will be back in there.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 AM
SPONSOR

Thanks for the post so far. Muley hunting is prolly done with since in the first season we mght catch bulls still calling. I have always wanted to be in the mountains with bulls calling! The hunt will last about 7 days above the valecito res. I have to check the units on my map before i tell you any specific units. The main theme is we want to get high and away from other hunters, no more repeats of WY!!!!!! I am curious as to preserving meat if we pop a bull early and still wanna hunt for another.

BB, 7 days or maybe a little more if we need.

thanks
steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Last edited by TennVol; 05-20-2009 at 09:02 PM.