Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Cold Weather Backpack Stoves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Cold Weather Backpack Stoves

Many backpackers love their gas cartridge stoves due to their ease of use.

For those of us who use them on hunting trips I'd suggest that the INVERTED canister stoves are the way to go. This is because they will work in very cold weather when the upright canisters will not.

Look at REI and other backpacking online stores to find these stoves.

If you already have a decent white gas stove like an MSR Whisperlite, Whisperlite International or Dragonfly then just use that for the ultimate in cold weather reliability.

Of course there's always wood. But here I'd suggest buying a Trail Designs Tri Ti or the shorter Sidewinder stove with the Inferno woodburner insert and matching pot. (This is a must for maximum efficiency.)
This stove is HOTTTT! because it uses gassifier stove technology which burns initially unburnt combustion gasses between the double walls of the stove. These stoves use finger-sized sticks and keep flying sparks to a bare minimum while utilizing the wood fuel to the max.

Plus these two stoves are very light and will burn ESBIT fuel tabs more efficiently than any other ESBIT stove. I've experimented a lot with ESBIT and these stoves are by far the best. Nothing else is close for saving fuel and giving fast boil times.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cold Weather Backpack Stoves

What do you consider Cold ? I have a $25 Coleman Peak upright & it has been flawless to 9F. That is as cold as it has been while out hunting in CO.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

A Coleman Peak 1 white gas stove is great to even -50 F. White gas is utterly reliable in winter. I have an MSR Dragonfly that can use white gas (Coleman Fuel), auto unleaded gas or, if you change the jet size, kerosene or jet fuel.

It's the canister isobutane gas stoves that struggle in very cold weather, even the "upside down" cylinder setups when it's around -15 F.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

Take a look at these stoves. Official BioLite Site | Home of the CampStove
Old 08-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Gold Member

I have used a simple little MSR pocket rocket for the past decade in the coldest temps that Colorado has thrown at me (below zero), and I"ve never had a problem. The only thing I"ve had to do is screw the stove down tighter onto the fuel canister to get the gas to come out properly. But I've never even given it a second thought... is there something I've been ignorant to considering cold temps and IsoPro fuel ??
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR
Old 08-24-2014, 02:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_r1 View Post
I just ordered one of the BioLite camp stove with the charger set up that burns wood. I picked up the grill attachment as well as the water boiling set up. I will also be taking my jetboil. (I am a sucker for new gear so I am going to try it.).

Also ordered a Mr Buddy portable 9000btu heater. I already have the sport cat and it works well in my one man tent, but I am doing a drop camp in Montana with a buddy. We are staying in an 8 man tent. What we found last time is that the small tent heaters we have keep our small area that we sleep in comfortable. But getting up on cold mornings sucks. So I am going to take the bigger unit to warm up the whole space a few hours before we depart so that it's a little less of a discomfort getting ready to go in the am. (Got spoiled hunting with my cousins in Wyoming with their outfitter series tents and wood stoves!)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 AM
Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Hognuts;983103]I just ordered one of the BioLite camp stove with the charger set up that burns wood. I picked up the grill attachment as well as the water boiling set up. I will also be taking my jetboil. (I am a sucker for new gear so I am going to try it.).

Hognuts, let me know how you like that stove. I have been looking at them for a bit but never pulled the trigger.