Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Choice in Knives ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Re: Choice in Knives ?

I use a box cutter with replaceable blades. It's super cheap, light weight and all around awesome.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Bronze Member

You guys have sold me on the Havalon Piranta.
I have one on order and hope to break it in in a couple weeks.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

I have had a ton of knives but have found that the perfect combo is a havalon piranta combined with an outdoor edge swingblade. great gutting blade along with a tough drop point and the havalon is the sharpest knife around for deboning and caping.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Chris Reeves Nyala knife. Excellent balance, comfortable in the hand, and blade easy to keep sharp. Pricey but worth it...
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

The Havalon is the only knife I carry on most hunts depending on the amount of field dressing required. It makes short work of medium game animals like deer and bears where I just skin and quarter. The heavy boned critters like moose and elk, I have a bone saw and a couple thick bladed knives for better leverage in between joints, but I always carry the havalon and the necessary supply of blades.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

havalon and a custom Ti backpacker
Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Well I guess I'm odd man out here, but I love gut hooks, & own many, & have used many, from Buck, Gerber, Kershaw, & Leatherman etc.
I have a fixed blade JWH Custom that a cary along with a fixed blade Gerber with a gut hook. Both have a skinning blade shape, but the Gerber is for the dirty work, & the JWH Custom is for the skinning etc so they stay Sharp for thier intended use, but compliment eachother. Either is capable of completing the whole task, but you'd have to touch up the blade on the Gerber at least once if you were to gut, skin, & quarter, or bone out anything bigger than a deer.
The JWH Custom holds an edge like no other knife I've ever owned. It's a freakin Razor. I've never done more than wipe the blade clean durring a field job, & keep goin. It's Amazing.
I always cary a Leatherman & a folding Gerber, or Buck in my pack. It's handy on those rare occasions when your camp fills multiple tags on the same day, & you don't have time to sharpen your steel with all the field dressing, & packing. Multiple bears, or multiple Elk are a big chore for any knife.

Just Google jwhcustomknives.com & you'll see why I love mine.
Jack is a way cool guy, & builds a real good knife. He actually took some of my 270WSM rifle brass from a couple bear kills, & imbedded the case heads into the handle for me. Looks awesome. I gotta send him some Bear claws, & Elk ivorys for my next ones.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"