Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

camping in a Bivy help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Bronze Member

camping in a Bivy help

should one setup under trees next to a log what does one look for
i will be above 10,000 this weekend and most of next week the forecast is rain then significant snow on saturday night and sunday ending on monday just wondering if anyone with experience in this type of situation and any recommendations are welcome
thank
sid
Old 10-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: camping in a Bivy help

Motrapper ,

Howdy - have you ever camped in the conditions you mentioned above ?

10,000' in elevation at this time of year -w/ foul weather predicted can be very rough ,I'm -not- talking from expierence b/c i haven't had good luck/expierence w/ bivies.
Down bags are the only bag as far as i'm concerned ,i don't think bivies have enough volume to be able to vent themselves ---too damp !!
The body puts off lots of moisture and down bags and moisture don't go hand in hand at all nor do synthetic bags..

I'm more of a lightweight tarp or tent guy myself -i'd sway way towards an ultralight tent if it were me ,can't imagine trying to wait out bad weather a whole day much less a few days in a bivy.

As a - bare minimum- i'd include a lightweight tarp 8'x10' minimum .
Give us some more info. on your set-up .-Mike
Old 10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

ok its a outdoor reasearch alpine bivy its gortex and say very breathable also have a good mat and a 0 degree northface bag good base layers and wool sweater pretty decent rain gear etc. also is it best to setup under trees the weather sounds somewhat tough in the high uintas but i believe it will get the elk moving so it should be good to be their also whisperlite international stove miniworks water filter and mountain supply dehydrated food mendiel alaska boots eberlestock 107m pack spotting scope 700 xcr 338rum good knife etcc...
just never stayed that high with snow and rain and ice i will be just south of Mountain View wyoming the answer is no not in these exact conditions
sid

Last edited by motrapper; 10-02-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Motrapper,

I find a bivy quite nifty during November and snow. Mostly because its easier to haul out when the new snow reaches a foot. I dislike hauling out on snow shoes.

I've spent 3 days in and around it. Except for my poor choice of food it was a very comfortable experience.

After the game gets in the freezer, we otta get a group together and do the rifle golf thing. I bet we do better the second time.;)

Good luck on the hunt.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Gold Member

I like my bivvy bag for camping when conditions are pretty nice. For rain, snow and 10,000' elevation - I like my tent a lot more...
Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

The bivy you have is awesome! One of my 2 favs. Bivys suck in the rain! At 10,000' you should only get snow. I wouldn't set up under a tree. That could get ugly with big winds, limbs falling etc... You might want to carry an extra tarp for a kitchen/eating area and make a footprint for your bivy out of plastic sheeting. Two sleeping pads are a must for cold ground.light bulbYou have a good gear list. Should be a great time. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

I dont know much about camping/hunting like this but i sure want to sounds like a lot of fun. How far from the tail head will you be?