Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

camo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Bronze Member

camo

fixing to up grade my camo this year i'm tired of being cold and mismatched.needs to be good for 0 or colder but not break the bank.i wear long jons but would like to get away from them. also looking for a good chest rig for my side arm
Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

Re: camo

To me clothing questions are always hard. Sitting in a stand or being on the move. Different people stand the heat or cold better than others. Open country or wooded areas. I like to layer and very seldom sit still very long except when glassing. A couple of types of clothing I like are the Core 4 Element and First Lite. They aren't the cheapest on the market, but not the most expensive either. And I will admit I very seldom hunt when it's 0 degrees.
Not quite sure what you are requesting in a carry method for your pistol. A few years ago my wife decided I was going to pack a pistol when I was archery hunting. I usually hunt alone except when my son can get away to hunt with me. Who was I to argue with her an excuse to buy another firearm and her idea. Believe me I didn't let any grass grow under my feet. I tried several ways to pack it and there just wasn't a comfortable way, considering you are packing a bow, pack and etc. I had a back support system ( goes around your waist and velcros together and has the suspender straps that goes over your shoulders). Put it on and got it adjusted, then request my daughter-in-law to sew the adjustments on the left side of the waist together. Laid my pistol in there and she marked it. Sewed it together then put a velcro strap that holds it in. For me this works quit well. Can carry all day and never even know it's there. Don't know if that helps. Have a nice day and good luck.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

I move a lot elk hunting in northern Idaho. I also get cold when I glass.

I tend to pack a down coat and a good wind shell (pants and coat).

I just picked up a Therma-rest Z-seat. Sitting on a cold rock makes you even colder.

Therm-a-Rest Z-Seat Pad at REI.com
Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM

I use 100% military clothing it's tuff and fits well and the cold weather gear is good stuff I have several patterns and like digital woodland and the new atacs FG have parkas and liner one liner fits all and you can not beet the price if you have some one in the military other than the navy you can have them get it for you it works for me
Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM

Just picked up a new Gortex suit from the UK. Multi Terrain Pattern. It has the slash paint brush effect of their old DPM but the multicam colours. The colours seem slightly darker than US multicam. I'll be trying it out this year. The price was very, very good.
I use the long range vest from Arktis. works for me. It has a holster for a side arm but since this is Canada I put my hunting license there.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

Eberlestock has a new bino harness that's got a pocket for a handgun.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Bronze Member

Over the past few years, I have started moving away from full camo because, there seems to be more and in some cases better options at reasonable prices. In fact, the only camo I now use is my Gore-tex soft shell jacket that I use to cover my down puffy when it's raining or really snowy. My pants are all solid, earth-tone colors in either merino wool (FirstLite Kanabs) or fully waterproof LL Bean Gore-tex upland game pants. The Bean pants have proven themselves several times over the past couple of years of use. They are warm and, again, fully waterproof. I have a closet full of camo clothing (some expensive pieces) that have failed me in one way or another (not warm or not waterproof or both).