Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Buy kenetrek?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

re: BUY KENETREK?

I became a Kenetrek Boots dealer because my own quest for a better boot brought me in contact with happy "Kenetrek Boots Kool-Aid drinkers" along the trails of the western mountain states. It seemed to be a personal mission of many of these satisfied Kenetrek users to spread the word.

--Len Backus-- (Publisher Of Long Range Hunting)
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.

Last edited by Len Backus; 12-06-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

Aldon, don't believe everything your read about the performance of hunting gear, including hunting boots. If you do, be prepared to be disappointed at some time or another. Most everyone, including myself, are going to give glowing, positive reviews on products that we've spent our hard-earned money to acquire. When I bought my Kenetreks, I was reminded by my wife that I have a closet full (okay, just 4 pairs) of hunting boots that were supposed to be the very best. I bought my Kenetrek's only because last year, a hunting buddy kept reminding us that his boots were comfortable and kept him dry and warm (we hunted in rain and snow for 2 days) when the remainder of our elk hunting party spent each evening drying out our boots.

After just 6 miles hiking, my new Kenetreks are very comfortable but the real test will come in October on this year's elk hunt. I hope that I won't be disappointed. But, if I am, I promise, I'll let you know.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

Yeah, Buyer beware for sure. I am still researching. I may yet decide on something other than the Crispi's. The fact that Zappos does not have them may actually weigh into that.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

I have a pair of Kenetreks mountain extreme 400gr thinsulate that I really like and have no complaints.
However, I just bought a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX from Lathrop and sons and couldn't be happier! For a non insulated boot it is fantastic.
Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Also I have the lathrop and sons insoles in my kenetreks and really like them too.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Gold Member

10-4 on Biggs300 and the closet full of "greatest thing" boots.

I hunted in Whites Smoke Jumpers for years but could never have fit & comfort. Blister City without preventative moleskin in strategic hot spots before first day. Built like tanks but just can't love them.

After reading some of this thread, I saw that the place I buy my work uniforms carries Kenetreks so I went in today to try a pair on. I wore them out. They feel pretty darn good. He doesn't advertise so the price was right too. He told me they were running a little small. Sure enough, 1/2 size larger fits great (non-insulated). Insulated boots just aren't as comfortable.

Workman's Outfitters- Boise, Idaho
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

I have had almost every kind of the best Mountaineering boots, single insulated, double boots that were better and are as good or better than any mentioned in this thread. I did a lot of winter hunting and years of winter mountaineering, and ice climbing. I have hunted mountain goats late in November high in Montana's mountains in deep snow and on ice / rock slopes, years of elk hunting in steep country here in North Idaho and Western Montana, I now use HOFFMAN, Pac boots, from Kellogg Idaho. I have had others Pac boots rebuilt with Hoffman bottoms when they wear out and and have many pairs of Hoffman's in various weights and heights that have tough lug soles that are better in most all conditions over all others, See their website. That's my 2 cents on boots.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

I have had my Kenetrek's now for four years. It took me three years to completly wear out the soles to the point that there was no tread left. I cant imagine hunting anywhere that would be tuffer on a pair of boots than hunting the Lake Range in Nevada for Chukar. You are walking in rocks all day, sharp rocks no round smooth ones here. With out those boots, I wont go up into the Lake Range, but with them and the support they give my feet, I cant imagine not having them.................
Yes, it took me a long time to break them in, but then a really tuff boot with the support they give takes a long time to break them in. I got a few blisters in the beginning it just takes time Most people want a boot that break in really fast. I will stick with what works and take the time to break them in .............................Like I said ........cant even imagine anyplace as tuff as the Lake Range.

Greg