Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Buy kenetrek?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM

re: BUY KENETREK?

I went elk hunting in CO a couple years ago. My brother-in-law and I wore our well-worn, insulated deer hunting boots while my buddy dropped the $300+ on a pair of Kenetrek MI 400's. Good friend that I am, I chided him non-stop prior to our trip on dumping so much money on a pair of boots. And the results?

My brother-in-law had to go to the dr when we got back home...I've never seen a foot so raw, and he wasn't back to normal for a couple weeks.

I had blisters in just about every place imaginable but thanks to mole skin and duct tape I was able to keep hunting.

My buddy with the Kenetreks, who did not spend any significant "break-in" time in his boots prior to the trip, had exacty ZERO blisters and nothing but great things to say about his expensive boots. I think he follows this forum some, so he may chime in with his own commentary.

And so, both my brother in law and I are now the proud owners of Kenetrek MI 400's...ready and waiting for the next elk trip. The one thing about them is to me, they feel a bit like walking in ski boots. But that may be why they work so well.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes...love them..I put 100 miles every hunting season on boots in the highcountry...Out of the box the most comfortable there is...Now CRISPI USA is definately where it is.....Amazing boot!!! alot like the Kennetrek but is actual GORETEX,, Kennetreks arent...heard from a few of my buddies they bought new Kenetreks and they leaked... they fit the same but are lighter....a little more money but worth it....Got about 30 miles on mine...Crispi Hunter boots 11inch tops.....
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Just my opinion but, I think it is hard to recommend one of the better boots (like Lowa, Kenetrek, Crispi, Meindl) over the other. I'd bet that most of the boots in this price/quality range are solid, performing boots. Personally, I think it comes down to fit and comfort, based on the shape and size of one's foot. Kenetrek just happened to fit my long narrow foot really well and, right out to the box, they were comfortable. But you may not have the same result. You just have to try the different brands and find the one that fits the best.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

The Asolo Granite 5 mountaineer boot is a top boot also,I have 3 pair that span about 20 years,pulley lacing system
Old 06-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

I don't know that I would change from boots that I like just because one has Gore-tex and another does not. I have two pairs of boots with Gore-tex and both take on moisture; one worse than the other. I don't know much about Windtex that is used by Kenetrek but if it shields moisture at least as good as the boots I have, they will serve my purpose. I can't imagine that Kenetrek would continue to use a waterproof material that doesn't work considering the price of the boot.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

I believe I've read every boot related thread on this site and others and both my hunting partner's personal opinions. One has the Kenetrek's, the other has the Danner's.

Herein lies the rub with me and my unbiased opinion and what I wound up finally doing....

The rub is, I don't want to buy any piece of clothing, especially purpose built footwear over the Internet, no exceptions. It has to be a personal, try it on, fitment. I know you can return them if they don't fit (as most of the Internet sales outlets state) but thats very inconvenient and time intensive.....

I need to 'smell the roses' prior to credit card presentment.....

Kenetrek has no dealers anywhere around here. My hunting partner just happened to buy his in Boise, Idaho at a Kenetrek dealer. He actually stopped by their business address (Kenetrek) to find out they didn't offer any sales at that location, I don't have that option.

My other issue is country of origin. Of course I prefer American made in purpose built boots, with European manufacture coming in second and dead last is the Pacific Rim sweatshop stuff/Vietnamn. I also prefer a boot that is rebuildable, has good foot beds supplied with and preferably, a short break in regimen.

I looked at everything available at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Dicks and Cabelas, all accessible to me store wise. I wandered all the stores and more than once, I was probably ID'd as a potential shop lifter because I was seriously handling the merchandise.....

I found it interesting that all the retailers stock limited stock in high end boots, with most being of questionable manufacture, even in the brand names. Danner and Meindl as well as Wolverine and Red Head all have their Chinese/Viernamnese factories turning and churning out hunting boots for the masses...but not for me. Like a Chinese optic, I don't want one, or a pair.... I want the real McCoy... and you have to look carefully and check the pricing. As a rule, the chi-com knockoffs branded in the major player's brands are a bit cheaper, in other words, you get what you pay for.....

I finally settled on Meindl at Cabelas, German made Meindl They also had domestic Danner's but the Danner's required an extensive breaking in and I'm a wimp with a set of tender feet.....

The Meindl (perfekt 10's) need little breaking in, fit like a glove and most importantly, I tried them on prior to the purchase. Actually states on the box, 'Made in germany'...how refreshing. Sort of the Schmidt and Bender of the boot world........

In Cabelas defense, I walked in (today) an immediately told the salesperson I was going to be a PITA and what I wanted and what for and all my predetermined prerequisites and to his credit, he understood perfectly and provided me with an excellent fitment in they type of boot I wanted. Make no mistake, price wasn't part of the equation.

I'd love to have a pair of Kennetreks (and probably will at some point, so long as I can fit them on, on a personal basis, somewhere) or Danner Hawks (which my other hunting partner has in addition to the Kennetreks) or Danner Alaska's but they aren't physically available to me, ar least not to fit on an actual basis.

Besides, the Meindl boots are pretty damn comfortable.

Finally, the Kenetreks aren't made in this country either (like the Ebrelestock packs BTW). Kenetrecks are made in Italy. Not that Italian's don't make good things, well, most are good. The Fiat 500 is an exception..... The backpacks are made in, well, take a guess.....
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Bronze Member

Or, you can find companies on the Internet that have liberal return policies and try several brands and return the one(s) that don't meet your expectations. Sierra Trading Post carries most of the better brands that are hard to find in the big box stores. They also have an express return service which gives partial credit for the return. I was fortunate and the Kenetrec's I ordered fit perfectly and got them for 35% off the normal retail price.