Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Hunting high / backpacking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Re: Boots for Hunting high / backpacking

look at lathrops and sons if you want a great pair of boots. A little spendy, but really fit well in the end. Insulation is the only issue with the lathrops.
T
Old 07-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Lowa "Sheephunters". I hunted dalls sheep in Alaska a few years back in a pair of these. We spent a lot of time in "scree" and my boots survived with just a few surface scratches. My guides new pair of Vasq boots looked like they had been run through a shredder. Since then, these boots have survived several years of elk hunting and guiding in some very rough rocky country in NM and are no worse for wear.

They are lightly insulated, and the only downside is they are fairly heavy. However, if you want a pair of boots that will not let you down in rough country I don't think you have to look any further.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

I got some Kennetreck Mnt Extremes 2 years ago and they are as tuff as all get out with outstanding support for your ankles and legs. My only complaint has been trying to get them broken in so they wont rub blisters on my heels without using moleskin. I just got some new footbed inserts from Lathrop's and hope they do the trick. A recent 3 mile jog on the treadmill looks promising.
Anyone else had similar experience?

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

Check out Schnee's hunting boots, and Lowa Hunter and Tibet series.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude View Post
Check out Schnee's hunting boots, and Lowa Hunter and Tibet series.
I have a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX's and they are incredible. Tons of support and seemingly indestructible. A great boot!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 AM

This year I tried a pair of Crispi Ascent GTX during archery season in High mountain hunting and I have to say they are by far the Best boots I have ever known! So good in fact I purchased a pair of Hunter HTG GTX for rifle season and they were awesome as well! No problem right of of the box with either pair, and they both support crampons.
The Ascent is a Super light non insulated Mountaineering/Trekking boot that has a somewhat stiff wrap around exterior that protects your foot from rolling on steep terrain, while the Hunter is an all leather insulated full protection boot that weighs a little more but offers more protection.
I have had several different styles of Meindl's in the past and paid just as much for less. You get what you pay for in boots and Crispi's have my lifelong vote! Hand made in Italy.

http://www.crispiusa.com/ascent-plus-gtx.html
http://www.crispiusa.com/hunter-htg-abss.html

Last edited by mtbohunter; 11-09-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Lowa "Sheephunters". I hunted dalls sheep in Alaska a few years back in a pair of these. We spent a lot of time in "scree" and my boots survived with just a few surface scratches. My guides new pair of Vasq boots looked like they had been run through a shredder. Since then, these boots have survived several years of elk hunting and guiding in some very rough rocky country in NM and are no worse for wear.

They are lightly insulated, and the only downside is they are fairly heavy. However, if you want a pair of boots that will not let you down in rough country I don't think you have to look any further.
I couldn't find this model - sheephunter. Which model is it?

I've tried the Kayland Apex Rock and MXD on, and they fit well, but I am worried about durability because of all the seams and exposed softer areas..

The Kenetrek, preferably the Desert Hunter, would be my choice if they were sold over here and fit me...!

I'll look into the Lowas and Crispi as they are sold here too.

When I find a durable boot that fit I'll buy two pairs!!;)