Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM

Re: Boots for Backpacking?

I have a pair of Lowa sheep hunters and they are as good a boot as I have seen for colder wx and/or rifle hunting but the boots I use now for early season bow hunting (up to light snow& maybe low teens temps in the morning) are Danner Jackals. they are as quiet as you can get for a hard soled boot and have worked fine for me even though most the time I am hunting with a 25 to 50# pack in tough mountain terrain. last year packed a boned out deer + 25#s with no problem. I do however use a 11 1/2 EE with this boot as Danners have a narrow design at least for my feet. I normaly wear a 11 , sometimes a wide width. I tried these on just to see as cabelas at Boise were out of my size and found they felt great. 2 pairs now with no break in..love em. The larger size & width might be due to my age (56) as I notice I like a shoe with more room anymore. If you hike a lot every day , 10 to 20 miles, your feet will swell and that boot that felt right in the store will get pretty small. As long as your feet dont slide around too much when new I think the looser the better. Lowas are nice as they have a heel that holds to your foot but the fore foot is roomy. BB
Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
Are the Meindl (Cabela's) Denali boots too much boot for an elk hunt in Colorado? I am talking about the region just west of Ft Collins. I know it isn't 9,000 - 12,000 ft peaks there but.....

I'm looking for a boot that will meet 90% of my western & Canadian hunting needs and cost less than $300. I like the Kennetrek mountain boots but they are $300+ and my budget is about $250.

Scott
I dont now the Denali boots, but I use the Meindl Perfect and are very happy about then. If you can get them in USA I think they should be less than $300
Littlebear
Old 10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Anyone out there know which of the quality manufacturers of boots might make a boot in size 13A - NARROW. I have tried just about every manufacturer that I can find locally and anything marked med. width I might as well run away from.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

From Cabela's they are called MENDLE's damn good boots, once you try them you will never go to any other boot..
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

I have had kenetexs meindles lowa and about every other boot talked about and the best boot I have ever had for hiking was La Sportiva. more money but worth it. The Nepal are the best if you can get by the color.