Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Boots for Backpacking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Meindls, Hanwags, Lovas and various other Euro boots will all work well, if correctly fitted and then LOOKED AFTER. I retired as the main bootfitter for the largest sporting goods retailer in Canada, here in Vancouver and also once briefly worked for the major Meindl supplier.

I have had about 30 pair of boots since the early '60s and worn about everything available, mostly to work in forestry in BC and Alberta and to climb, hike and hunt here, as well.

I have seen more boot/foot problems due to improper fitting and poor boot care than any actual boot failure and this in boots from some of Vancouver's main suppliers and their employees.....you would be surprised.
Well I appreciated you sharing your background and until given a good reason, take you at your word. I looked at some of the boots you've recommended and I have historically preferred 10-11" tall boots for the additional support they provide on the mountainsides while sheep hunting. You seem to prefer the shorter heights. Another reason I like the taller boots is I've found that the fit doesn't have to be perfect in order to keep my foot from moving around in the boot. I've used the Cabela's Meindl Canada Boot for about 16 years and liked it. Two years ago I picked up a set of Haix Montana boots on display at the 2007 Shot Show in Orlando. They are similar in design to the Meindl Canada but I find them to be a slightly higher quality boot. I've had some issues with the Meindl soles delaminating prematurely while the rest of the boot was still in good condition. Any experience with Haix boots? I understand they are manufactured in Germany and popular with firefighters and police departments in some parts of the world.

Unread 02-02-2009, 06:13 PM

Thankyou, gentlemen take each other at their word and always have.

I am not familiar with that specific maker of boots, however, there are still a fair number of smaller boot makers in Europe and these are not imported here to Canada due to the obsession with "Asian trade". If, they fit and are of better quality than the Meindl's Canadians, I would buy as many pair as I could and "ration" them for my future hunting!

It seems that the Canadian model is the one which Meindl has had the most QC difficulty with and that is, obviously, due to the technology used to make them. The newer boots with high "rands" so touted by many, are NOT built to be "better" for alpine uses such as sheep hunting ( or, like most of us, sheep "looking for" ), they are built this way as it is much cheaper to do than to use Norwegian welting and full grain leather.

I do not care for this type of boot and try not to buy them, as they seldom if ever really "fit" the way a FGL boot will after it molds to your individual foot. Some boot fitters will deny this and use bits of foam to "fit" your boots, this is about as valid as mounting your scope without boresighting.

Higher boots feel as though they give more support when they do not fit really well, but, what is really happening is that your foot/leg muscles are continually adjusting to maintain balance and this tires you out. But, it is dammed hard to get really well-fitted boots now as most are pretty crappy and you just have to compromise.

I like an 8" top on a fairly stiff, moderately rockered FGL climbing boot and then use gaiters for better coverage in bad weather. A 10" or taller boot gives no greater actual support than the shorter one and is heavier. But, one has to go with what feels best to himself and what you can obtain in terms of budget and availability, so, ya do what ya can, eh.

Generally speaking, the gear we have today is far beyond that of the '60s, '70s, '80s and so forth, but, really GOOD generalized mountain boots are NOT and decent ones are hard to find. The finest boots I ever had or saw were Galibier Super Guides, still made in France, I understand, but, no longer imported into North America.

The "trendiness", specialization and increasing "fashion like" situation in all outdoor self-propelled activities is partially responsible for this, but, "bullschitt walks, but, money talks" is the real culprit. A GOOD pair of FGL "Littleway" (the best) or "Norwegian" welted climbing boots is going to have to retail at well in excess of $500.00 USD a pair for it to be profitable for the makers/vendors and that just ain't gonna fly in today's hunting world...as witness the Filson's situation and so many others.

I hear good things about the Schnee's Sheephunters by Lowa and that might be one option for you to consider.
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
gentlemen take each other at their word and always have.
So I found out why you were banned, Some not very gentlemanly remarks, and I'll leave it at that. Sometimes people say things and then regret doing so, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume there were better intentions.

FYI
A person that calls himself a gentleman, is often the furthest thing from the truth. That title is earned and awarded, you can't claim it for
yourself.

By the way, it is possible for a boot to have a Rand AND be made of good leather.
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thankyou, gentlemen take each other at their word and always have.

I hear good things about the Schnee's Sheephunters by Lowa and that might be one option for you to consider.
Thanks for your feedback. Likewise - all I've ever heard has been positive about the Lowa Sheephunters. In fact a fellow I work with purchased a set 2-3 years ago and he really talks them up as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM

I am seriously considering a pair of those, based on what a guy on Kifaru.net has to say. He is among the more experienced and knowledgable guys I have encountered on forums of this type, his name is Ed Tyanich and I trust his judgement completely.

There is another Hanwag outlet here in Victoria, B.C. and this is Viberg's Boots; they might well have something that will fit, as well.

I spoke with Stephen Lathrop at length, just after they switched from Meindls to Hanwags, he actually offered me a job in his firm, but, somehow being retired in BC kinda suits me; my impression is that they are a great outfit to deal with and they KNOW boots and feet. Their systems are pretty pricey, but, for guys getting older and packing hunting weight packloads, they impress me as being a good option.

To me, boots are the biggest pita of all gear and the one ya really gotta get right.
Unread 08-09-2009, 12:19 AM

I have two pair of Danner boots 7 inch Danner blade GTX one is the with 0 insulation and the is pair is 8.5 Danner blade GTX with 600 g of insulation both are very dry boot and light weight. Now socks are very inportant to me brushed nylon-wool blend socks. I have had the danners going on my third season I must say I really like them but they could use a bit more bite on the sole.
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

RockZ

As some of the others have pointed out it is hard to narrow things down to one boot as different hunts require different equipment, boots included.

For serious backpack hunting in rough steep country I don't think you can go wrong with the Lowa boots you mentioned. I wear a pair of Lowa Sheephunter boots sold by Schnees. These are serious heavy duty boots, that will stand up to any terrain you can throw at them. They have a great footbed, and really good ankle support which is very important to me. I also added Spenco backpacking insoles to mine for a better arch support. Superfeet insoles work well also.

The only down side to the Lowa Sheephunters is they are heavy.........oh, and they are not cheap either. Schnees sells them $399. They are worth it though in my opinion. I have had mine for 6 seasons and they have been through everything from sheep hunts in Alaska, to a dozens of hunting and guiding trips in NM and WY. They are a little scuffed, but other than that, they are as good as the day I got them......better actually, they are stiff boots and require a good bit of break in.