Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Boots for Backpacking?

I like the Cabelas Meinel boots when it is snowy and the Cabela's outfitters retrofitted with the Miendel insoles (for sale at Cabelas for around $19). This gives two different boots with excellent cork insole protection.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Gold Member

kenetrek or lowa bar none.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 AM

I have 3 pairs I use for various uses. Nice weather and gentle terrain I go with either my Danner Gortex boots or my La Sportiva Trango Trek GTX. My Danner boots are pretty old and if I am packing much weight I lean toward the Trangos. They are a great boot for most backpacking. For heavy duty packing, like sheep hunting, I am testing out the Cabela's Alaska Meindls. I want as close to a mountaineering boot as possible and the price was right. They are nice and stiff and fit well.

As for drying them out.. Not many options in a minimalist camp.. I typically just take the insoles out and keep the boots under cover. Having camp shoes gives the boots some extra time to dry on their own.

Last edited by hekin.308; 11-12-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

I got the Danner Pronghorn all leather w/200gm thinsulate. They are awesome and very easy to break in. I was up and down the mountains chasing elk with a bow and never even got a hotspot,no blisters, not even close. I replaced the footbed with a superfeet footbed and it provided good support.

Good news is that they are on sale at the Sportsman's Guide for only $99, well worth it.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Danner Winter Lightís most of the time. Sorrel Pacís with gaiters when the snow is deeper.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM

I really like the cabelas speed hunter 2 for early season warm weather archery hunts. They are a little heavy but just as comfortable as your everyday cross trainer. In the winter the best boot I've found is the Danner Pronghorn. They are very lite and water proof great for those long days in the snow and rain.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:42 PM

I have wrapped up two hunting seasons with my Lowa Tibet GTX this winter. All I can say is that they are AWESOME!!!!! I have worn a lot of good boots over the years including a Vasque Sojourn GTX that was the Gortex version of the SuperHiker. It was a great boot, but is no longer made and I was really struggling finding a boot that would do well sidehilling as well as be comfortable on the regular hiking trails etc. As I have mentioned, the Lowa Tibet GTX is absolutely terrific for me.

When I wear out my Danner Santiam's I will replace them with Lowa Sheep Hunters for the insulation. The Lowa fits my foot significantly better than the Danners, although the Danners are my choice when it is really cold or with significant snow levels due to the Air Bob sole and the 400 gram Thinsulate. I have hunted in small amounts of snow with the Tibets and they were great, but over the top and I will want the Insulated versions.

Anyway, check out the Lowas and see what you think. IMHO they are tough to beat.

Firehawk