Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

Miendle actualy make a range for cabellas and they are well priced. The only diference i have seen between them and 1n's sold as just miendle is that they dont have their patented "Ibex" vibrum sole for grip.

I hunt New Zealand in the high alpine of the south island for Tahr as well as Australias sambar country and the hot hills in Queensland in the north for Red deer and my boots are only now after 5 years of solid hunting and climbing going to God. I find them comfortable in all these conditions.

JAWZ
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

I love my CABELAS Caanadian boots I have beat the crap out of them and they still feel great!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Does anyone have thoughts on cabelas Alaskan Miendles the look like the ticket for any terrain
thanks
sid
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

I have used the Cabelas Alaskan boots, the uninsulated variety. They are really good boots but I have really bad ankles and just had ankle surgery so I'm shopping for new boots now. I've heard the best things about Lowa's Sheep Hunters and Kennetrex boots. My problem is that I need a wide boot and have heard neither of these offer a wide size. I haven't found any place in colorado that sells them so I can try on first.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Bronze Member

Boot Choice

Last year I hunted in the Central Nevada Mountains between 7000 to 9000 feet elevation. Daytime temps were 50's and night temps were 20's. The weather was accompanied by about 1 foot of fresh snow with 3 full snow days.

I hunted with a pair of Elk Trackers by Irish Setter 800 gram insulation (I think). These boots run about $190-$240US. They were a good choice for the terrain and weather. I think they would be a little hot for warmer weather, but, you can buy this style with less insulation and just purchase insulating socks to wear during the cold time of year. With less insulation this would be an excellent all-round boot choice.

When fitting your boots try them on after working on your feet all day. By the end of the day your feet will swell. This will let you know your best fit for those long days on the trail.

This year, I saved all year and forked over the $$$ for a set of Lowa Sheep Hunters, Less insulation and so far really good grip and ankle support. These boots feel a lot lighter than they look. I am looking forward to my Early North East Nevada Mulie hunt this year. Now I have a good set for heavy winter (Elk Trackers) and a good set for the early hunts at high altitude (Sheep hunters). Now it is down to good consistent boot care to make these last as long as possible.

For Boman, I picked up a set of 12 wide Lowa Sheep hunters from Scnhees' in Montana.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

I bought a pair of the meindl alaska hunters out of cabelas last spring. Been scouting in them all summer in the steep cascade backcountry, I must say im really impressed with the unbelievable ankle support. Boots took a little getting use to and do need some time breaking in, but they are a great mountain boot for anyone hunting steep rough country with a pack. I would recommend buying the green super feet insoles and replacing factory ones.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

I like Lowa's, they are a comfortable boot that need little to no breaking ing in. I usually go through a pair every year or two, including my summer back packing.

I also use sandles for backpacking in warm weather, a little tricky on the downhills and not very good for rugged off trail hiking.