Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

You guys are lucky you can pick and choose what boot to wear, I wear a 15 EE, gotta wear what ever I can find. It is a pain in the but trying to find hunting and hiking shoes that size.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Bronze Member

If I'm hunting big timber....I still wear my West Coast caulk boots. Logged out here for many years and they always served me well. Those who have never worked in the woods will never understand. If I'm in the high country I wear my BF Goodrich extra-tuffs. Zero ankle support, but really really quiet when hunting. And they are truly water-proof.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Boots for Backpacking!!

Here in British Columbia a lot of sheep hunters I have talked too give the Meindl Canadians the thumbs up. They are a great boot in my opinion. But some guys are using the scarpas and also Lowa's sheep hunters. A high boot with good ankle support especially when sidehilling with a heavy pack is important. Would suck big time to roll your ankle in the middle of nowhere. RAMSHOT.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

RockZ

Schnees boots out of Montana sells the same boot (I think) as the "Sheep Hunter". I bought a pair a few years ago for a Dalls sheep hunt in the Brooks range, Alaska.

This a a great boot! After several days of scrambling around in rocks, scree, slogging through mud, etc........ the boots cleaned up no worse for the experience. Others in the camp with Danner Pronghorns, Vasque and other leather/cordura type hiking boot came back to base with boots that looked as though they had been run through a shredder.

The boots are tough and comfotable, but they are stiff when new and require significant breakin. I wore mine almost every day for 3 month before my sheep hunt. The boot is also heavy. If you are hunting less extream terrain, I would suggest a lighter weight boot such as the Pronghorn. I have a pair of those as well and they were very comfortable from the first moment I put them on. However, if you are going to be hunting very rugged terrain that requires good ankle support and is tough enough to take out whatever you throw at them........the Lowa's can't be beat.

PS, I ordered mine from Schnees and they advised me to order 1/2 size larger than normal as the boots were sized small. I did, and they fit fine.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Kenetrek boots

I bought a boot called Kenetrek. The best boot I have ever worn. Very comfortable, exelent support. They are light enough to hike in and tough enough to pack elk in. They are available un-insulated and insulated. Both are water proof. They are re-buildable also. I've tried alot of high end boots hiking and hunting here in Montana, and these are far and away the best. They do come with a down side,... they are expensive. About $300 a pair. They have replaced all of my boots, except for my cold weather packs for single digit temps. I too used to take a box full of boots on a 10 day hunt so that I could rotate boots in order to keep my feet from getting sore. Now I just take these. I am looking forward to purchasing the insulated ones for late Nov. hunting.

I dry my boots on the long trips by placing them above the floor near the wood stove in the wall tent. Not close to the stove. If you set them up on a chair or table about as close as you would sit to the stove it seems to give them enough warmth to dry over night without hurting the leather. Down on the floor doesn't get warm enough.

steve
Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramshot View Post
Here in British Columbia a lot of sheep hunters I have talked too give the Meindl Canadians the thumbs up. They are a great boot in my opinion. But some guys are using the scarpas and also Lowa's sheep hunters. A high boot with good ankle support especially when sidehilling with a heavy pack is important. Would suck big time to roll your ankle in the middle of nowhere. RAMSHOT.
Meindle are without a doubt the most comfortable boot i have ever worn straight out of the box they ar like your old slippers . They have won every major award in design and comfort and are widley considered the best boots in the world.

Just my 2cents

JAWZ
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Bronze Member

Are the Meindl (Cabela's) Denali boots too much boot for an elk hunt in Colorado? I am talking about the region just west of Ft Collins. I know it isn't 9,000 - 12,000 ft peaks there but.....

I'm looking for a boot that will meet 90% of my western & Canadian hunting needs and cost less than $300. I like the Kennetrek mountain boots but they are $300+ and my budget is about $250.

Scott