Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

back in the day I wore Herman Survivors exclusively. Bought a pair a couple of years ago @ Wally World. Made in china. Weren't the same. really sucked until I melted the toe of one in the fire. Leather don't like heat. That did them in. Made me a happier fella.

Twas too warm for the Rocky's 1200 gm insulated but they worked surprisingly well after I waterproofed them, again. They were warm in the 60*+ temps in the pm and were soft, flexible and was able to climb, descend and side hill well. Also gave good support.

I now have some low and light Sketchers and a pair of Propet water proofs. Both in EEEEE width. ah....they feel good. The 5E part is what's most important. We'll see how they do after the snow is gone.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Haix, Lowe, Meindl

Haix, Lowa, and Meindl all have good reputations and manufacture some excellent boots for hiking above treeline in the mountains and on the hillsides. I've owned several pairs of the Cabela's Meindl boots over the past 20+ years. The tougher of the two Meindl boots I've owned is the Cabela's Canada boot insulated with 200 gram Thinsulate. Cabela's Meindl Winter boot has 800 gram Thinsulate and is warmer, but isn't as tough, stiff, or supportive as their Canada boot. I had the sidewall near the heel of the Cabela's Meindl Winter boot collapse in wet conditions on a Kodiak Island brown bear hunt one spring. Boots were brand new so I sent them back and bought another pair of their Canada boot. More recently I purchased a pair of Haix Montana Hunter boots and found them to be slightly better than the Cabela's Meindl Canada boot. Haix makes good boots if you can find them. They're an old European boot manufacturer just starting to try to market their boots for hunters and hikers in America. I bought mine at the Shot Show in Orlando, Florida in January 2007 and have used them pretty extensively this past year.

Lowa makes some top quality boots from what I've heard and read. A co-worker has an expensive set of Lowa boots and they look top quality to me. He's worn them a bit and has only good things to say about them.

My boots are used to backpack hunt in the hills and mountains of Alaska, carrying an external frame backpack weighing from 40 to +100 lbs, depending on whether or not I've had a successful hunt. So these comments should be considered in that light.

Last edited by phorwath; 01-01-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Not much tops Meindl's Perfect. For a soft shoe it's the 5.11's HRT's by a long shot...
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
I use white's smokejumper lace to toe. Most comfortable I've ever owned.

When I was jumping, the above is what most of us wore--there were some pretty heavy x-country packouts and virtually no break in on this boot. But for late October/November elk hunting up high, I've grown quite fond of the Gore-Tex Danner Raptor. It seems quite comfortable in a fairly wide range of temps. If it gets really cold, it's the Whites 14" Pacs.

Raptor's: Danner Raptor 400gm 8" GTX (Brown) - Hiking Boots

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 PM

Danner

I bought the Schnee's Lowa Sheephunters, I believe this is similar to the boot you asked about. Pretty nice ... but I wish I would have went straight to the all-leather version of jmden's Danner Raptors, the Danner Santiam 400 gram. The best boots I've owned and very adaptable to different temps, terrains, etc. They are also resoleable and rebuildable. Just make sure to break them in well. Many miles in new Santiams = bleeding blisters. Many miles in broken-in Santiams = massage for your feet.. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Silver Member

I love my perfects by Mendl but during early archery elk trips my feet got way to hot. 20-30 in the moringing 50-60 in the afternoon. Just got back from a couse trip where i wore my uninsulated fit IQ's. I liked them a lot little cold in the morning but after hiking a bit perfect. Only knock i have on the mendls is a mid hard. Ad some softer inserts and perfect.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

I wear meindl 'island pro' boots, I don't know if you can get them in the states but they are excellent. The Lowas have a very good rep too.