Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots for Backpacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Gold Member

Boots for Backpacking?

I have found that some boots work better than others when you are hiking up and down as well as sidehilling. You need boots that fit well and provide support. Boots that are great for short hikes and stand hunting just won't work. Once your feet start hurting, it doesn't matter how strong your legs or lungs are.

I have been researching on the net and have found a boot that is highly recommended by mountain hunting guides.

It is the Lowa Hunter GTX Etreme.

Has anyone tried this boot?

Any inputs on suitable boots for serious backpacking for oct-nov mule deer/elk hunting is what I am looking for.

Also, how do you dry out the inside of your boots after a long days hunt.

Last edited by RockZ; 12-23-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

There is wet backpacking and dry backpacking. There is hot and there is cold. There is day tripping and week tripping. There is moving to a stand and being still and there is walking all day.

A boot should be selected based upon the end use and the perosnality of the hunter.

I usually have three or four shoes/boots and put on the pair that suits my needs for the event.

My first choice is always the lightest boot I can get by with. Then I look at whether I need it waterproof, insulated, ankle support, etc.

If I am stalking, then I will use a soft sole boot. They are hard to find because everybody mostly uses vibram which is only slightly louder than a B-52 strike with daisey cutters. If you have ever spent any time around a guy who like to try to toll in elk by kicking rocks off the hill with vibram soled boots then you know what I mean.

Merrill makes some nice soft soled boots that I use for stalking and moderate weather backpacking. They are not the most durable boots in the world but they are quiet and waterproof and have good ankle support. If used with gaiters their usefulness can be increased for some work in the snow. There is a price to be paid for the soft soles and quietness.

Finallly, when it is time for Armageddon and my brain ceases to function, I will hunt in the cold and wet and snow. I use the Cabelas Meindel insulated boot. It is heavier than sin, stiffer than a board, louder than cannonfire and expensive as tithing; nonetheless, they are warm, dry and have great ankle support. Because they do not bend much they will really cause some muscle fatigue in strange places in your legs.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

Until the snow dictates otherwise the only boots Ive ever used and have never had a complaint with are Vasque.Once the snow is above ankle deep,I'll suffer through with something much heavier.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

I use my Military Boots. Not the old black truck tire tread ones. The ones we recieved in Iraq were either Danners or BelleVilles. Both are great. The Danners were light weather, light boots with good waterproofing properties. And the BelleVilles are fantastic winter boots. We do a lot of Coyote hunting and I will walk several miles in my BelleVilles during the day and my feet feel as good at the end as they started. (Not the same for the rest of my body)
Since I have been out I thought my supply of them would run out but if you keep an eye out on Ebay or most surplus stores you can get them at very good prices.
In my defense I have never even worn Cabelas or the like boots. But I figure if the Military is willing to spend way too much testing them that they are good enough for me.

Lucas
Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

I use white's smokejumper lace to toe. Most comfortable I've ever owned.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

There are few things worse then issue boots....
Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 AM
SPONSOR

The boots i have been using are pronghorns, danner i believe. I have one set with no insulation and one set with 1000grams of thinsulate. pretty light wieght and good support. I would like to find some "sneakin" boots like BB mentioned though. I had a pair of the old browning huntsman boots that i wore for around 7yrs and by the time i had to get rid of them they were wore so smooth i could walk like a cat in them. no tread and unfortunatly all the waterproofing was pierced so a 2" puddle got em wet.
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST