Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member

Boots

I'm looking for a pair of boots to pack in and hunt in. I see many that look great, ie. waterproof, comfortable, light. My question is, what is the rule of thumb on insulation in the Nov. mountains. It seems that boots that would provide the right insulation for camp would be extremely hot and uncomfortable during the trek. What do you guys wear? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: Boots

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme uninsulated
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Kenetrek hardscabbles if it doesn't get really cold and if it is uncomfortable, I just put in the full length heater insoles. If its really cold, Whites Elkhunter pacs. If it is really really really cold---the cab of my F350..................

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

+1 what mike 338 said
Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

Gotcha. But, if you hike in and the weather is in the 30s, then, two nights later, it drops into the teens (at night while in camp), do you just hole up in your bag? Surely, no-one would take two pairs of boots. I realize these are dumb questions but I'm obsessed. These forums really are providing some awesome information. I appreciate yall.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycreek View Post
Gotcha. But, if you hike in and the weather is in the 30s, then, two nights later, it drops into the teens (at night while in camp), do you just hole up in your bag? Surely, no-one would take two pairs of boots. I realize these are dumb questions but I'm obsessed. These forums really are providing some awesome information. I appreciate yall.
Thats why I stated to take along some foot heaters---you'll have the best of both worlds.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Thats why I stated to take along some foot heaters---you'll have the best of both worlds.

Randy
Ah! Foot heaters. Like the ones that produce heat. Right? I was looking for some king of Thinsulate insoles. I wade in green timber duck hunting a lot and it's really hard to keep my toes warm. The sticky heater pouches really seem to get in the way. Googling "Full length heater insoles"