Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Bog-Pod for optics & shooting rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Bog-Pod for optics & shooting rest

I was curious if anyone had used the bog-pods much with optics. I have the standing model with the switcheroo head and universal shooting rest. The tripod and both heads weighs in at 2lbs 15.1oz on my postage scale. I've used it with my Leupold 15-45x Sequoia spotting scope and my Leupold Olympic 10x50 binoculars and it seems to work pretty well but they aren't great glass. I see bogpod has a pistol grip head out this year also that should pan smoother for glassing. I don't shoot past 400yds off the tripod but when terrain prevents prone shooting it is nice. I've been practicing shooting sitting with my eberlestock upright as a rear bag and the tripod under the front and doing pretty well.

I have been putting together other gear and haven't upgraded optics yet because it's a big chunk to bite off to do it right. I wanted to see if anyone else had tried this with better optics. I know that it will be a compromise and not as smooth and steady as a better tripod, but wondered if the weight savings over a separate optics tripod and shooting bipod would be worth it. I'm looking at getting minox or vortex kaibab 15x binoculars and using them with the tripod for hunting muleys and elk and not carrying any other scope or binos. I'm hoping I could spend $700-1200 and carry one good optic. That's about all the budget will allow for the forseeable future.

Anyone tried it?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bog-Pod for optics & shooting rest

I have a pair of Kaibabs and a tripod. I tried to find the bog pod but could not find one to try.
The Kaibab set up is pretty good with the only downfall I have found is the magnification is not enough to determine trophy quality but in my opinion more than make up for it in most other aspects. I am lookinng for one of the magnification doublers to help with the details of what you find. Viewing large areas is very comfortable and they work really well for watching for movement of feeding animals. I use them for blacktail hunting in brush and trees.
I would definitely recommend them for elk and mule deer.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM
PUBLISHER

I love my Kaibabs.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors