Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Blister Prevention

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Blister Prevention

Put the moleskin on Before you blister. It will prevent blisters and is easy to replace on a daily basis if needed.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewiseman View Post
Put the moleskin on Before you blister. It will prevent blisters and is easy to replace on a daily basis if needed.
Moleskin is very bulky. It will be uncomfortable if your boots fit snug. Since it is adhesive, it can and will come loose after a few miles especially if you sweat in your boots. Believe me, shear nylon stockings or socks are a much better blister preventer.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Bronze Member

sounds like what i know as bauer bump. originally named for hockey players skate blisters, but what i have after 4 years of college football. many years of repeated blisters on the heal lead to accumulated scar tissue. in my experience, a lack of heal movement in the boot will help to stop blisters before they start. once a blister is acquired, some 1/8th inch foam adhesive mole skin cut into the shape of a doughnut with the hole over the blister has always worked wonders for me.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

I wear 2 pairs of sox, and avoid walking on hard packed ground with my feet pointing strait down the hill. Side hill, and traverse, and keep your sox pulled up tight on your feet. Also some insoles can help with the proper fit of a pair of boots in rugged country. If your getting blisters from ''hiking boots'' you either live in a flat part of the country, or work in an office, or just plain have the wrong fit on your boots. Not bashing on you at all, but 20 miles is barely starting to ''break in'' a pair of boots. 2-3 weeks of constant wear, wet and dry will be closer to broke in.
Kinda like breakin in a new custom saddle, its gonna hurt, but when its done there isnt anything more comfy. As stated in an earlier post, turning your blisters into callouses is best and most painfull. We always fill up our new leather boots in the bathtub and leave them over night, then put them on the next day, and walk them dry to break them in. Do that a couple times, and your leather boots will be formed to your blistered, but eventually calloused feet. Grease the snot out of em and keep em that way and youll be fine.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

I've used the jelly like second skin kits you can get at any backpacking store with some success after a blister forms.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 PM

I was a Reconnaissance Marine for 8 1/2 years, and I have been on patrols that spanned 175 miles. When our company started doing long range patrols, we started with a 50 mile patrol, and at the end of that first patrol, everyone's feet were sore and blistered. We were authorized to purchase nonmilitary boots and most of us did and, we noticed a significant improvement based on the quality of the boots we selected. I chose Danners and after 27 years, I have never had a reason to use another boot. We also carried a pair of running shoes to allow our feet to get some air, cool off, to use if we crossed a stream, and change into if our boots or feet got wet. They are light and don't take up much room in a pack. If I were going on a hike of two days or more I would not go without a pair of running shoes in my pack. Eventually after a lot of hiking, our feet toughened up and blisters were no longer a problem. Today, I carry moleskin in case I develop a blister, and I like the earlier ideas of using duct tape and liner socks. I haven't tried them but those ideas makes sense. An earlier post mentioned soaking your boots in water and wearing them for a day. I and many other Marines used this technique successfully for many years, and I consider this to be a mandatory step in breaking in a new pair of boots.

Last edited by Randyd; 06-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

I take a spare set of liners and hiking socks and switch to the other pair every other morning I then with a small tube of scent free soap do a quick wash/rinse of the used pair and let them dry either over night in camp or hang them off my pack while I'm hiking.

I find that if I wear the same socks longer than 2 days without washing them I start/risk getting blisters.