Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Blister Prevention

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Blister Prevention

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg_sexy1 View Post
We use Duct Tape in our camp. A couple of years ago I got blisterd pretty bad, after a layer of duct tape I was good to go again. I now tape up before I even start hiking, its like a super tough second layer of skin. It works AWSOME!!! I totally advocate it. Good Luck.

BS1
you can even get cammo duct tape i have some
Old 08-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Next time I get blisters will have to try duct tape. Can someone post a picture of how are you guys sticking it to your feet. Do you do it like strapping it with a bandage?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
I have the same problem, and what works for me is using as an inner lining girls pantyhose, that I cut to the length of your feet up to the ankle(it sounds funny but it works great). That way your feet will be able to slide in the boot and you wont rip the epidermis out from the dermis which is what a blister is. If your feet cant slide inside the boot then you will keep on getting blisters. Another way of solving the problem is trying to develop calluses, which will be a stronger lining of cells there which will be harder to break. Good luck.
Plus one... I met a Marine Lt Col once who said what he and a lot of other marines wear is their wife's nylons when going on long marches. the Marines know all about hiking and backpacking, they make a living of it. Blisters are caused by the friction of your foot moving in the boot. Nylon stockings or sheer nylon socks as a liner under your socks is the best way to stop that friction. I was on a 20 mile hike through the mountains once with a gal friend, she started to get a blister after about 5 miles. I had a pair of nylon sock liners and she put one on her foot that was getting a blister. She finished the hike and the blister did not form.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
Next time I get blisters will have to try duct tape. Can someone post a picture of how are you guys sticking it to your feet. Do you do it like strapping it with a bandage?
Stick with the nylons. I've tried duck tape a couple of times while back country skiing and the tape worked fine until it lost its stickiness and rubbed off. I've tried mole skin too and it did not work very well.

My $.02

-MR
Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

MontanaRifleman,
Thanks for the tip, if you have used both methods you must know the difference.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

curious do you use the nylons combined with a liner and socks or just the nylons and socks?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

I use the nylons as a first line of protection, then the liners ( i use as liners soccer socks but any regular liner will work), and then the regular socks.
I will eventually get blisters when I go upland hunting, running behind the dog in steep hills tears your feet, and most of the times I dont wear liners or nylon when upland hunting because it is a weekend thing, jump out of bed and go type of thing. When I go backpack hunting for deer for several days is when I use them, and they work really well.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

I would just use the nylons or nylon socks as liners, and not both. Blisters are almost never an issue with me for hiking/backpacking/hunting and I put on a lot of miles doing these things. They are an issue sometimes back country skiing with plastic boots.