Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Blister Prevention

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Blister Prevention

I have a pair of meindl perfects and a pair of the denalis for whatever reason i wear a 9.5 in the perfects and a 9 in the denalis. both have well over 20 miles on them. I love the perfects but on a september elk hunt go too hot and blistered so i went to the unins. For whatever reason I seem to still have blister issues. I have never experienced this till now. For example went on a 2 mile hike today in the denalis after not wearing for awhile and blistered my heals. You guys have any tricks for preventing blisters. thnx
Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Blister Prevention

Have you tried sock liners? They can help with blister alot. They help wick away moisture so they keep your feet dry. Also one extra layer to keep them warmer if need be. They work great for me.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

I will have to try a pair. For whatever reason i am getting them just on my heels. I have to be the only person from what i have read anyway that has problems with these boots.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

With 12+ years of wearing work boots 10 to 16 hours a day, if your getting blisters on your heels, then your foot is moving up and down in the boot. At least your heel is anyway. Different ways to combat the problem: get a different size boot, wear extra socks to take up the extra room, last and least favorite, wear blisters until calluses are formed.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

you can get a band aid that normaly would fit on your elbow and wrap yo'ur heel with it. also after it blisters and you pop it and rip the old skin off use preperation H to dry them up really fast and keep the from getting infected and from hanging around.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Dr Scholl's Moleskin!
Dr. Scholl's Moleskin Plus at REI.com
Try it , you'll never leave home with out it

Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

I have the same problem, and what works for me is using as an inner lining girls pantyhose, that I cut to the length of your feet up to the ankle(it sounds funny but it works great). That way your feet will be able to slide in the boot and you wont rip the epidermis out from the dermis which is what a blister is. If your feet cant slide inside the boot then you will keep on getting blisters. Another way of solving the problem is trying to develop calluses, which will be a stronger lining of cells there which will be harder to break. Good luck.