Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

bipod or shooting sticks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: bipod or shooting sticks

I use a stick (literally, a stick I pick up in the forest) when I'm walking around. Great for shots in the forest as well as when I'm glassing with binocs.

For medium to long shots I like to get prone and use my backpack under my rifle as a rest. Not always possible, but if I can't get solid I won't take the shot. I have set my rifle in a pine tree to shoot a bull at about 330 yards... just happened to work out great.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 PM

off the backpack or crossed trekking sticks
Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

WALKING STICKS BIPOD

I always use my backpacking walking sticks and have devised a fast strap crossover setup for use as a bipod.

No sense in carrying extra gear so I multi-purpose the walking sticks. They have three telescoping sections for adjustment. Great for "sidehill shooting".
Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

I keep a short bipod attached to the rifle. But, I'm always prepared to use the spotting scope tripod, trekking poles, backpack etc... to create the most solid rest possible. In steep terrain you need to be quite creative sometimes.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 PM

I ended up buying stoney point shooting sticks. They were Cheap but I didn't see to much advantage spending $100 vs the $30 (sale price).
Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

This is a long range hunting site so we had all better be trying to find maximum shooting stability whenever possible in order to be ethical hunters.

Probably a much higher percentage of hunters on this site use some form of support sticks for stability than you'll find among other hunters.

Lately military snipers have taken to carrying tripods. This is a bit extreme, weight-wise, unless your hunting is on relatively flat ground. Lugging a tripod around at 8,000+ feet does not sound like fun. But using dual purpose hiking/shooting sticks makes a lot of sense.

Hiking/shooting sticks means that when you have a very expensive shooting rig on your back you need those sticks to keep a fall from damaging a scoped rifle and ruining an expensive rig and expensive hunt. Plus using your arms to assist your legs on uphill hikes just makes sense. And on long or steep downhills hiking sticks save your knees - especially for my class of hunters known as geezers.
Finally hiking poles on steam crossings gives you four "legs" for stability, keeping you, your pack and your rifle dry.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

I have carried a monopod in the past, but don't think it is stable enough for a longer shot than 300 yards. I plan to experiment with using my hiking poles as an improvised set of shooting sticks.