Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

bipod or shooting sticks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM

bipod or shooting sticks

What does everyone use for a rest while in the steep terrain of the back country?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: bipod or shooting sticks

Snipepod. It's way better than shooting sticks and is extremely versatile. It can function as a bipod (not as good as a dedicate bipod but still pretty decent). In my mind it's the best $130 you can spend for a backcountry rest.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Bronze Member

I use any means I can to get a solid rest and prefer to shoot prone when possible. I keep a bipod on my rifle and use it quite often. When calling coyotes I prefer to use shooting sticks but I feel that I my shoot distance is limited more than a prone shot. I also carry trekking poles which I can use as a shooting rest if I need a taller rest in steep terrain or high brush. I think it is important, when possible, to select your shooting and glossing location ahead of time for long range shooting so these things can be worked out in advance.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

I have an old set of Stony Point shooting sticks that I started with, but my gimpy back led me to using trekking poles for any backcountry adventures (the stability issue is important with my back), and it only took one outing to realize I could use the poles in place of the shooting sticks for a more solid support. I simply loop the wrist straps over the opposite pole's handle (instant cradle, conforms the rifle forearm) and with a little practice I can go from walking along to shooting position rather quickly. I also have a greater range of height adjustment to adapt to the situation. Sitting, kneeling or almost standing (sort of a "combat" crouch height), all are do-able with the poles. A small rear bag for prone over pack or bipod and I'm all set.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Gold Member

A bipod and if I need it my tripod with my rear bag sitting on the head
Old 07-31-2014, 08:05 AM
PUBLISHER

When I am unable to use a bipod, the Primos (formerly Stoney Point) Magnum shooting sticks.

At the LRH Group shooting class this weekend in WY with Non-Typical Outfitters, we will be shooting MOSTLY off of methods other than bipods since often in the mountains a bipod just won't work.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post

At the LRH Group shooting class this weekend in WY with Non-Typical Outfitters, we will be shooting MOSTLY off of methods other than bipods since often in the mountains a bipod just won't work.
+1

Been my experience. Either the angle of the terrain or the height of the brush makes a bipod little more than unuseable weight in my experience. In the rare case I can get in a true prone position, usually shooting off the rim of a canyon, my backpack over the rocks is what I use. Even when shooting down off a rim it seems difficult to get a bipod properly set. 95% of the time I'm shooting off Sroeny Point shooting stick tripod with a tag along arm.