Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Best base layer for tough physical hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Best base layer for tough physical hunting

Sounds like you've gotten some good advice here. I totally agree with all the comments about wearing less in the beginning. If i know im going to be going hard for a while and then stopping to hunt, or slowing way down, I will wear the minimum amount of clothing. I know that when I am moving with all my gear that Ill heat up rather quickly so i try to start cold. If i start to notice my sweat ill either stop or slow way down for a bit, and possibly even take off some stuff, if possible.

As far as brands, some good ones that I know of are Smartwool, Columbia, REI etc. That Sitka stuff sounds pretty nice. And when a piece has that bacteria stopping silver in it then i guess one could also assume that your odor will be less potent which could be the difference between meeting up with that trophy animal or not. food for thought.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM
SPONSOR

Yep, bare naked (pronounced "neck-ed) mountain hunting is where it's at. You did say you were walking in in the dark, didn't you???? ;)

Last edited by tt35; 09-22-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Walking in with nothing but boots & a headlamp. Would be good snow camo except for my farmer's tan.

On a more serious note, I got 3 of the Patagonia capilene 2 zip-neck undershirts bought for $18 each on a clearance sale. I will give them a try when they show up and use them for hunting if I like them or work if I don't. Figure'd I'll find a use for them at that price.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

if you read the memoirs of Ernest Shackleton about the ill-fated expedition to antarctica, he mentions that the reason he was able to get all his men out without a loss is that they were all outfitted in good wool clothing. All the fleece and other newfangled finery are just doing what wool has been doing for centuries. I am a firm believer in this. I like a base layer of fine wool with wool or fleece outer layers as well.....you are on the right track. you can hunt harder/stay out longer when you are comfortable. good luck AJ
Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

great choice on the pategonia! although i didnt pay for it (your tax dollars did) my pategonia has performed excellent and is or would be worth every penny. i have used it almost daily on all our ops. is camp pendleton in 100deg heat to frozen in the siera nevadas. i have washed a couple of my fleeces and tops upwards of 80-90 times with consistent results and no problems, even with the zippers. i was actually trown in the water and soaked through a pategonia fleece and long sleeve base layer. took them off, rang them out and in 10 min both were pretty much dry. pay to play. think of it as taking a 400yd shot with a rem 870 slug gun...not the right tool for the job. think the same about the gear on you.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Just a friendly help on prices and such.... Wally world sells 100% polyester long-sleeve t-shirts (an essential clothing item for me in the mountains) for like $12.

It's the same exact stuff North Face, Patagonia, Marmot, et al sell for 3x (and more) the cost. I'm not telling a yarn - i used to have a PT retail job selling gear in an Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) store and hawked that stufff to get an employee discount on expensive tents/sleeping bags/etc and saw it every week. I can afford the spendy stuff, but it is absolutely no different than the stuff i saw grocery shopping one find day. Ha! More cash for fuel to go places and the same excellent wicking performance.

Otherwise, there's a wealth of great information here about mountain athletic wear - just NEVER wear cotton and you'll be worlds ahead. As mentioned, start out cold - you'll warm up soon enough.