Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Which barrel contour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Which barrel contour?

I have a Rem 700 with the laminated wood stock, 270 wsm, shoots under an inch with the right loads but I would like to rebarrel it. The factory barrel is very picky with ammo. So the question I have for you guys is which contour would you choose for this gun? It has the standard "magnum" contour which I believe is a #4 in most people's book. I'm packing in around 2-3 miles on average and hunting some steep country but the weight of the gun at present doesn't bother me. I believe a #5 contour would add about 1/2 lb.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which barrel contour?

I generally pack in a couple of miles myself, and do a good bit of walking each day. I tend to lean more towards a heavy barrel for backpacking than a lot of folks might. I just don't care to shoot those light rifles much. And I don't mind a little extra weight, within reason.
I think a #5 contour is a good compromise. Of course, the length of your barrel will make a lot of difference in weight, and whether or not it is fluted.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

I went with a Pac Nor #3 fluted barrel on my 270 win build. The 270 is a small enough bore it still seems pretty stiff. I haven't got to start long range testing yet, hopefully this weekend, but it is shooting ragged holes at 100yds with 140gr accubonds. I really like the barrel although it may be a little rough inside, it seems to foul pretty quick.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el matador View Post
I have a Rem 700 with the laminated wood stock, 270 wsm, shoots under an inch with the right loads but I would like to rebarrel it. The factory barrel is very picky with ammo. So the question I have for you guys is which contour would you choose for this gun? It has the standard "magnum" contour which I believe is a #4 in most people's book. I'm packing in around 2-3 miles on average and hunting some steep country but the weight of the gun at present doesn't bother me. I believe a #5 contour would add about 1/2 lb.
Ask if your barrel maker of choice if they will do a custom contour. If yes: Straight taper the barrel 4-5 inches at 1.25, begin taper where 1-2" after straight shank ends, reduce to .800" then straight taper to muzzle ending at .650-.675" and flute it. barrel length 26".

If no custom contour, then do a #4.5 contour, just slightly larger than your factory barrel, and flute it.