Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Badlands clutch vs the 2800

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Bronze Member

Badlands clutch vs the 2800

What is your opinion on either of these packs? Need a day pack that is capable of overnight use in reasonable conditions. And somthing that can help pack out meat and a hide. Going ibex hunting next month in southern nm, I need a pack that rides well on my back.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Badlands clutch vs the 2800

I have a Badlands 2800. Prior to purchasing the pack, I tried to do as much research as possible and read some of the reviews.

I found that the 2800 had very few reviews and many people were recommending the 2200. I bought the 2800 anyway and let me say...it has served me very well. From the little bit that you have said, the 2800 would work very well. I often go out for two or three day backpacking hunts and the pack holds the gear extremely well.

I bought the pack for the specific fact that it would allow me to pack out a quarter without having to take the bone out. I hate boning out an elk out in the field. I have packed several quarters out with this pack and while I always trade it out for the pack frame on the second trip, it handles the quarters comfortably enough.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy the pack again. Lately, I have been considering a Mystery Ranch Metcalf which is very similar to the 2800. I would recommend you check the Metcalf out as well. It is only a matter of time until I find and buy a Metcalf. Once I do, you're welcome to borrow and try out my 2800 if you'd like.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member

HuntnID

That metcalf is really nice. It can be pricey depending on the options you go with. It doesn't appear to have a configuration to carry a rifle or bow. I am gonna do some research on the metcalf. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

I believe Mystery Ranch has a strap attachment. I may be thinking of Stone Glacier though.