Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Backpacks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

I've had a Badlands 2800 for about 6 months and love it. I haven't logged as many miles under the pack as I'd like, but from what I have so far I love it. It has a unique batwing design that acts like a large day pack with a ton of compartments until you need to pack meat/quarters/basecamp/etc. and then the "wings" open up and the load carrying system goes to work. As far as quality, it appears to be top notch. They also have a no questions asked warranty.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Good question. On my pack with the positioning my particular positioning of the top and hipbelt 'attachment points', with my body type, the rifle ends up angled upwards across my chest from the hipbelt. Each attachment point is adustable by a few inches up or down so that hopefully some adjustment that works for you can be found. I don't have a 'big' scope, just a Vari-X III 4.5 x 14 on a one piece Picatinny Farrel base with MK4 med. rings, but the way mine is slung, I believe a larger scope wouldn't be a problem.

My brother bought the Gun Bearer seperately and has it attached to his Lowe pack. His setup tucks it back more like in the Kifaru pics, which I don't like as it does seem to restrict movement a bit.

I've got both hands completely free and unimpeded with the setup at the moment. It will move/swing a bit side to side, you know, if I was running for instance, but that just doesn't really happen. No system is perfect, but this one seems to work. Good luck.
I also bought the gun bearer seperately and attached it to my Mystery Ranch pack. I turn my rifle around so the scope is facing away from my body. Both hands are free, and the rifle doesn't bother or limit me in any way.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake4 View Post
I also bought the gun bearer seperately and attached it to my Mystery Ranch pack. I turn my rifle around so the scope is facing away from my body. Both hands are free, and the rifle doesn't bother or limit me in any way.

I have done the same thing with my external frame hunting backpack. The Kifaru gun bearer isn't a perfect fit, but turning the rifle so the scope is facing away from my body provides the best fit on my pack also. And I have a pretty large scope - an IOR 3-18x with a 35 mm scope tube diameter.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Mods to Kifaru Long Hunter Hauler--might give someone some ideas...?

These are some shots of a new packbag I made for this pack. When I first purchased it, I bought the cheap $50 pack bag and didn't pay the extra $250 or so for the integral packbag Kifaru offers. The cheap packbag from Kifaru has worked OK for hauling big loads, but it's not even coated nylon, so it leaks and it only has the one attachment point/compression strap per side, so the load is not as controllable as it could/should be. This new pack is very cheap to make and will control the load much better.

Shot of 'integral' fleece pack cover. Quiets the pack down considerably when working through trees/brush.

$20 packbag if you sew it yourself

close up of upper compression strap.

Attachment point slot for top and bottom of new packbag

Attachment point for middle compression strap. This was the only attachment point for the 'cheap' Kifaru packbag.

Detail of top of pack. With the silnylon 'inner seal' open and extended, the pack bag is approx. 8000 cubic inches. Another 1000 cubic inches in top flap.

Anyway, an option to consider for those of you that may be considering a Kifaru Long Hunter that have some sewing experience.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 09-09-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Eberlestock j104

Like some other posters, I can only recommend the j104. The new dragonfly is similar with a detachable top pocket, but is way more expensive. This pack is beyond burly. I have packed out 5 bulls, 4 mulies, and 2 pronghorns with mine. It will take anything you throw at it ... anything! Eberlestock has an excellent no questions warranty and gaurantees the bag will carry anything you can strap in or on it and get it on your back. This pack is the single best piece of gear I have. I also have the Jim Horn Canadian pack, and it is awesome, but the j104 is in its own league. I see some questions about the Kifaru's rifle carrier. There are no questions about the j104's rifle scabbord, I swung around a corner of a trail to come face-to-face with a small herd of elk last season. With just a grasp of the stock, my rifle was at the ready in my hands, silently, with my j104 still secured on my back. The scabbord holds my sendero with a 6.5-20 X 50 mark 4 nicely. Since I've started using my j104 (3 seasons) 6 of my hard-hunting friends are sporting Eberlestock packs (j104 and j107). It is a great pack that becomes a greater pack when you load it with meat, cape, and antlers.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterroot bulls View Post
Like some other posters, I can only recommend the j104. The new dragonfly is similar with a detachable top pocket, but is way more expensive. This pack is beyond burly. I have packed out 5 bulls, 4 mulies, and 2 pronghorns with mine. It will take anything you throw at it ... anything! Eberlestock has an excellent no questions warranty and gaurantees the bag will carry anything you can strap in or on it and get it on your back. This pack is the single best piece of gear I have. I also have the Jim Horn Canadian pack, and it is awesome, but the j104 is in its own league. I see some questions about the Kifaru's rifle carrier. There are no questions about the j104's rifle scabbord, I swung around a corner of a trail to come face-to-face with a small herd of elk last season. With just a grasp of the stock, my rifle was at the ready in my hands, silently, with my j104 still secured on my back. The scabbord holds my sendero with a 6.5-20 X 50 mark 4 nicely. Since I've started using my j104 (3 seasons) 6 of my hard-hunting friends are sporting Eberlestock packs (j104 and j107). It is a great pack that becomes a greater pack when you load it with meat, cape, and antlers.
That's great that you found a good pack for you, bitbull.

I don't own and haven't used an Eberlestock, but I have questions'about the way their rifle scabbard is mounted. For instance, how does the setup go through the trees and brush cross country sticking out the bottom and top like that? My rifle in the Kifaru Gun Bearer is right at my hand and as it crosses my chest, I can see it and guide it a bit, and since the system is adjustable enough so that the barrel does not go extend above my head when walking, it rarely gets caught on anything. It also seems to me that the movement required to get a rifle out the Eberlestock pack would scare away that small herd of elk around the bend in the trail before you could get off a shot. The Kifaru seems like it would require much less body and rifle movement to get it on target quickly. The Kifaru already has the rifle in an across the chest configuration and with one small and quiet pull on a piece of webbing, the rifle is ready to put to the shoulder. You'll seem 'em demonstrating shooting claybirds with a shotgun from fully secured Gun Bearers in a video.

I'm sure Eberlestocks are great for you, they just appear heavy, bulky, and too 'gadgety' with all their adjustments and add-ins to me. JMO. But, everywhere I go with my Kifaru, I've got anywhere from 1000 cubic inches to 9000+ cubic inches at my disposal without 'adding' anything and the whole setup probably weighs at least a couple of pounds less than the 'stock' J104. Adding additional parts to the Eberlestocks would add more weight to it. Kifaru's come from a long line of technical mountaineeing equipment married to hunting where the theme is lightweight and strong. Eberlestocks seem like they look as though they came from the military where most things are heavy and strong.

Only reason I made the pack bag above was that I was too cheap to buy one of Kifaru's many sized LongHunter packs. I bought the Long Hunter Hauler (see the platform--does Eberlestock do that?--throw it down, put a quarter on it and go--it's very secure and works very well--or I could put the quarters in the packbag if I preferred that for some reason) and the Kifaru Duffel which doesn't connect at all to the pack like the LongHunter packbags do. The LongHunter Packbags are vastly superior. I was just too cheap. So I made something that will work much better than the duffel without costing another $250+.

Do you live close to Missoula? I spend quite a bit of time there visiting my wife's relatives. And, every fall I wished I lived there as her relatives have an elk and bird hunting 'establishment' bar none...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 PM

I would also vote +1 for the Eberlestock. I have owned the J105 two seasons now and I just love this pack. The J105 has now been replaced by the J107 Dragonfly. The quality and engineering from Eberlestock is outstanding. I have also packed out elk and mule deer with my pack. The feature that most empresses me is the rifle scabbard. The rifle is easy to remove and I like that the rifles weight is located close and to the center of your back. I think this feature is a big advantage over many packs. Go in light... come out heavy!