Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Backpacks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Gold Member

Backpacks?

After some of your recommendations it looks like the Kifaru are the best. They are a bit more expensive than others. Just like my nightforce scope!

I have also looked at the eberlestock packs and the Just One packs look like they would fit the bill as well.

How do the J104 and J107 compare? They look like just what I was looking for. They are expandable and are made for hauling out meat also.

Thanks

Last edited by RockZ; 11-30-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Bronze Member

The biggest difference is,

The J107 has an adjustable torso. The J104 is basically a one size fits all. My hunting partner used the 107 this year and he loved it. My first two years I used the 104 and I'll never wear it again. Just doesn't fit me well.
But, It is very well built and absolutely No CQ issues. Oh , to give you an idea . I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs. and the J104 just never fit me as well as it should when your going high, back, and possibly out heavy.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:33 AM

I would take a look at the Mystery Ranch backpacks, designed by Dana Gleason from Dana Designs.
These are also on the high end of the price range, but I haven't found anything better, IMO. Especially for hauling meat/horns.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 PM

A good buddy of mine and I both have a J104 eberlestock pack. Between the two of us we have packed out two 6 foot black bears, packing the hide and meat out in one trip, my buddy packed a full boned out elk in his, there have been several deer and one antelope packed out as well. In addition to all the meat, we had all of our gear as well. I pack a spotting scope and tripod, that each have their own pocket on the J104, along with water, food, knives, saws, game bags, extra clothes, rope, fire starter, and sometimes my kitchen. The rifle scabbard is very handy and I would not go without it. We are both around 6' tall and 200 lbs, and don't have a problem with the pack fitting comfortable. The J107 is newer and I think better. The eberlestock has a bunch of extra accessories that can be purchased to help with going on backpack hunts. I believe that the Eberlestock Just one is the best all around pack on the market!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

The Kifaru line has the 'Gun Bearer' rifle toting system and that by itself is a tremendous item, not to mention the rest of the pack. I don't think there is a more comfortable way to pack a rifle or a way that you can get a rifle into action from a secured position faster than Kifaru's Gun Bearer. Don't forget either they are built to your body measurements. Not sure the others do that. I spent several years packing upwards of 130lbs of gear cross country off of wildland fires where we made our own packs, so far have spent 20+ years mountain climbing and backpacking and several years of backpack hunting. The Kifaru Long Hunter Hauler, in it's various configurations, is the best combination of technically advanced features designed for hunting that I have yet to see. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

I like Gregory internal frame back packs. I debone my game and put it in plastic garbage bags. In the pic.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ck-to-cam.jpg?

I have around 100 pounds of meat in my pack and have haled a nice size cow elk in one trip deboned bake legs, front legs, back straps, tender loins, and neck with bone. The Gregory pack is comfortable I would go to a good back packing store and get fitted with a hi quality back pack put some weight in the pack and see how it feels before you buy one.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

I got a Gregory internal frame ultralight mountaineering pack for my day trips. I used to ahve a soft pack back pack for day trips but it would nto hold all of my long range gear. The Gregory is very comfortable and very light (ultralight) and the frame does not allow stuff to poke you in the back. It is tall enough for my body and it will hold my spotting scope and tripod inside.

The chief draw back it that is blue.