Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Which backpack meals to use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Bronze Member

Which backpack meals to use

Over the years I have done a good amount of backpacking for my job and pleasure. I have an Ibex hunt coming in November. Temps wil range from 25-70 degrees. I'm gonna be loaded down pretty good, so I need to plan out my nutrition intake each day. I have used the Mountain meals before on backpacking trips. They are lightweight, easy to prepare, but not very caloric. MREs are very caloric,but they weigh a lot even when stripped down. So I am wondering if you guys have any good recommendations on light weight ways to meet the caloric needs of a hunt in mountainous terrain. My goal is to go 3 days without resupply.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which backpack meals to use

Calorie wise, MRE's make sense as they have more food and a flameless heater. As you pointed out the down side is that they also produce far more trash and you use / have to carry more H2O.
If cost isnít an option I would go for First Strike Rations (FSR). They provide a mobile source of a variety of foods that are lightweight, calorically dense, familiar, and are easy to consume intermediate moisture foods. FSR reduces the weight and volume of one dayís subsistence by approximately 50% and provides an average of 2,900 calories per day. I think the majority of my Afghan patrols consisted of first strike rations and Gatorade shakes, well that and rip-its...lol!
Another option would be to supplement your MREís with dehydrated food . You could theoretically make the same amount of food weight last twice as long, your meals would taste better, you would have more options in terms of what you can make (a bag of flour can make you pasta, bread, tortillas etc. where in an MRE or backpacking meal, you get what is in the package.) and trash that you have to pack out is minimized, especially if you re-package your food before setting out on the trail.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

MREs are a bad choice for backpacking. MUCH too heavy. That's exactly why no experienced backpackers use them.

Take Mary Jane Farms freeze-dried meals for the lowest sodium content. Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry are excellent meals at a higher sodium dose. Love the omlettes!

OR... buy a small dehydrator and dehydrate a lot of your food, like a cup of spaghetti sauce into sauce leather. Teat or cut into small pieces for easier rehydration at camp.

AND buy a "Freezer Bag Cooking" book and learn to make up at home the best tasting backpacking meals ever.

If you are in bear country you MUST put all food and toothpaste in a bear can.
Cook your evening meals on the trail before you camp or 100 yards away from camp. Same for breakfast, Break camp then cook and leave right away or make breakfast down the trail if you know others will camp there.
Place bear can at least 50 yards from camp.

And "LNT" (Leave No Trace).
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM

For starches I love couscous (instant type) for its light weight and calorie content. couple this to home made jerky (deer, moose, and/or beef) and the local stores land jaegers and you have pretty good nutrition. You can also dehydrate vegies and fruit and spices for flavour. We carry Nutella for snacks on home made hard tack, its pretty good with a cup of coffee. Coffee is light and can be boiled old school in a pot. We carry other stuff as well but this is just a few things.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:54 AM

82ndreddevil, let us know how that hunt goes, sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

Mountain house and the backpackers pantry work well, i have used them as well as sent them up with a buddy to his elk camp and he swears by them now. they have good variety, portions and easy to use. if you have snow or a water source around there isn't any issue for any of these meals. the mre is heavy off the get go and larger in size and you will have more trash compared to the others to hauls out.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 AM

I love the Mountain House products and use them as well. They have great breakfasts and their "Chinese food" type sweet and sour pork is outstanding, as well as the dried ice cream.