close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Backpack for a LOOOOONG rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Backpack for a LOOOOONG rifle?

That was another concern was being unstable or being top heavy. I'll look into those packs.

Unread 07-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

I had an Eberlestock J34 that I used on my mule deer hunt last year. I sold it. It was o.k. but it would sag and sway too much for me. Also, the rifle scabbord was a bit of a pain in the butt getting my rifle into and out and keeping my gear secured in the pack. My rifle is a 12.5 #, 26" barrel 7 mm mag.
I am going with a Kuiu Icon Pro this year and plan on carrying my rifle along the side of the pack.
I may try to rig a Kifaru universal gun bearer on the Kuiu pack.

good luck
Unread 09-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Bronze Member

j34 holds my 28" barrel with another 2" worth of brake, muzzle down. i have a NF ATACR on it, so it won't fit butt down. it goes down to about the grip and i can get the strap on it to "lock" it in. works good.
Unread 09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
I may try to rig a Kifaru universal gun bearer on the Kuiu pack.

good luck
I've used the Kifaru gun bearer on my external frame backpack for 6 years now. Like it. Lots of bears in AK and my rifle is still accessible in a relatively short time with little effort.
Unread 10-01-2015, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

This year I'll be running my same kifaru duplex frame and nomad pack but instead of my eberlestock scabbord I'll try the gun bearer designed for the nomad. The scabbord worked great for my 7mag with 26" barrel but this rifle is so much longer. This rifle is a 338 lapua ai with a 30" barrel and 5 port slab brake. I haven't carried this rifle before but I have packed out a couple deer and an elk and this system has worked well. It has pockets to carry my 85 ziess and slick 624 tripod.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Backpack for a LOOOOONG rifle?-20151001_142549.jpg   Backpack for a LOOOOONG rifle?-20151001_142529.jpg  

Unread 10-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Backpack for a LOOOOONG rifle? (KIFARU method)

As nice as Eberlestock packs are they are waaaay overbuilt and too heavy. Plus it ain't as easy to slide that rifle out as it looks.

Get a good internal frame pack and add a Kifaru rifle holding setup and you'll be much happier and save money. The rifle's butt fits into a Hypalon "pocket" strapped to either the right or left side of your padded pack waist belt.

The barrel/forearm quick-release strap attaches to your shoulder strap on the same side (right side for me) and when you pull on the strap the QR buckle releases it instantly so your rifle comes up quickly.

With this system you can use any pack with a waist belt and your rifle is always ready to use, even while using walking sticks or ski poles. I use walking sticks on steep terrain and this system is great.
Unread 10-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

I would recommend a Kifaru mountain rambler with their new duplex ultralight hunting frame. You can pack as much weight as you want and has a rifle scabbard. Also has a meat shelf. It is expensive but Kifaru is the best.