Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Backpack knives

looks like they have only 2 designs.

Replaceable blade skinning knives and fillet knives by Havalon Knives
Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Havalon has my vote too, I short quarter the animal when im backpacking doing so eliminates the need of a bigger knife to split bones
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Havalon piranha is the knife for backpack hunting. just a little FYI, I always carry and use my leatherman to change the blades, those little suckers can get slippery when covered in blood. I will break 1-2 blades per elk ( I bone them right on the spot and prep the skull for a euro mount). I always carry 5-6 extra blades. buy one and you'll love it.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

I have a custom moose horn set,skinner caper.When I lighten up I pack a Strider gunner grip tit. folder and a outdoor edge caper
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
Havalon piranha is the knife for backpack hunting. just a little FYI, I always carry and use my leatherman to change the blades, those little suckers can get slippery when covered in blood. I will break 1-2 blades per elk ( I bone them right on the spot and prep the skull for a euro mount). I always carry 5-6 extra blades. buy one and you'll love it.

Good point Idaho Sawyer---I started doing that after experiencing changing the blades covered in blood. You'll only do that once. Shoulda had stitches but it is truly amazing what one can do with duct tape and super glue.......
AND be sure to get the orange handled one. These are not the kind of blades to be searching for when you forget where you left it.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

I use a Buck knife made for dealing with gutting, skinning and quartering. The Havalon will NEVER be in my pack, it's not the correct tool for the job and we had two guys go to the emergency room this year alone because of these things!!! They are great for skinning out the head and paws but for gutting and quartering they are simply to dangerous, IMO!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post

+10. You only slip once Crazy sharp. The statement about buying the orange handled Havalon is a good suggestion also. Makes it just a little more visible when you "set it down" somewhere

t