Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Backpack knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Backpack knives

Id like to know what everyone is using for knives. I have gerber,crkt, some hand makes, and just got an ESEE Laser Strike.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Re: Backpack knives

Well, as far as I am concerned, especially if you want to go lightweight and not carry a sharpener, HAVALON. I carry both the piranta and the barracuda. You can cut up a herd with them and just a couple of blades. I always carry a heavy duty fixed blade Ruana but that is because it is sentimental and I can actually split a pelvic bone with it.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

I carry a custom long Damascus blade. It holds an edge well and lets me get into those tight areas I want to ream out.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Well, as far as I am concerned, especially if you want to go lightweight and not carry a sharpener, HAVALON. I carry both the piranta and the barracuda. You can cut up a herd with them and just a couple of blades. I always carry a heavy duty fixed blade Ruana but that is because it is sentimental and I can actually split a pelvic bone with it.

Randy

Same here, I love the Havalon. My out of state guys are carrying them, my dad & uncles now too. Damn hard to beat. The heavy fixed blade still has a place for sure, but nothing in the forseeable future will be replacing my Havalon.

...In fact, I bought a second Piranta to stow in my gear bag.

t

Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

never used a havalon but I have heard good things. I use a benchmade fixed blade and folder and carry a multitool. Im a little anal about having a backup after some of the training I have had. Kinda like that I have a more extensive first aid kit. everyone has their quirks.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Midnight there's absolutely nothing wrong with a backup. I NEVER leave home without a multitool, just some things a guy can't go without .

My carry knife is a Pro-Tech Monaco.

t

Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

HAVALON, How about a link to the model you guys are talking about please.

Thanks
Jeff