Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Backpack hunting question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Backpack hunting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Put some real thought into how much gear you really need to take in. I have an Eberlestock J107 and used to use a Cabelas Gun+Bow, and I have had no problem, with either pack, getting out an average mule deer along with the remaining 2 days of a 3 day camp.

After a very mentally challenging hunt through deep snow last year, I went a little weight crazy this year and cut about 8lbs off my load. Lighter stove, lighter fuel for it, lighter tent.

If you are going to stay long enough, multiple trips will be the norm. For elk, unless you have 3 guys and two don't shoot an elk you will NOT bring a bull and antlers out in a single trip. So don't hike in further than you can get the meat out (in as many trips necessary) before you risk it going bad in whatever weather you have.
Good stuff from someone who's dunnit... Usually in the terrain I'm in for elk, I may be able to bone out the fronts and pack 'em out together, but so far it's been five trips--4 quarters and camp. Don't get too far as ATH says. I hear of guys that get 10 miles in--start doing the math--each trip is 20 miles and how much of that is off trail. Haven't seen an elk yet that was killed in the middle of a nicely maintained trail.... Does a person have the stamina and time (weather, what's happening to the meat?) to do that?

'Nother big safety/balance/knee saver for me is a quality set of trekking poles--they really help with the big loads going up and down. Extend 'em for going downhill obviously. I use 'em to get to camp, the typically stow one in my pack when out hunting for the day with a lighter pack just incase I get something--just trying to reduce the chance of injury, etc.

Anyway...lots of stuff to consider. Oh...when by myslef I carry one of those GPS enabled PLB's registered to me as cell service is usually non-existent if something were to go wrong. When by myself, I just try to hunt hard, but not do anything stupid. The not doing anything 'stupid' part is hard for me...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks to all of you for the good info. I guess some of you are amazed that I've been a member for 9 yrs without a post. I've never had any good input before and I used this site for all the great information that other members have provided. Anyway, here is my equipment list: Eberlestock Gunslinger pack, MSR water filter, Kelty 3-season tent, Kelty 20 deg down bag, bivy bag, 1-2 liter camelback bladder for water, Gaz propane stove and fuel, freeze-dried meals, aluminum cup, and 1st aid kit. For a minimum 3-day stint in the field, my pack is about 70% full. So, is it better to bring up an old, empty external pack for packing out the meat and come back for my equipment? I'm estimating a minimum of a 10-12 mile round trip.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

I wouldn't bring a pack frame with your setup, it will only add more bulk and weight. Your packing list leaves out alot of stuff ie. pocket knive, bone saw, gps, raingear, headlamp etc. These are all small items that can be put in external pouches or in your pocket but they add up to bulk and weight. Your tent and possibly even your sleeping bag can be strapped to the outside, there are alot of attachment points. Start looking around for military style pouches that will fit your situation.It is pretty much given that the big compartment of your pack must be left for meat and game bag. Just line the inside of your pack with a big meat bag and start dumping the meat in there. Strap all other junk on or shove it in your pocket.

Using my eberlestock dragonfly I have successfully packed out my camp for a week as well as #130 pounds of meat,cape, horns. The pack out is never fun but can be done.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Bronze Member

I backpack hunt in one of two ways, depending on how far in I am nunting, what I am after (deer or elk), and how much help I have.

If I am in 6 hours or less, I tend to use ultra-light pack equipment, including the backpack, and leave my heavy pack at the trailhead along with an extra bag, mat, and food. For deer, I will pack the meat out in one trip and then go back for my camp. If we are able to spread out the meat between buddies, we can sometimes come out in one heavy load.

If I am in farther than that, I and my buddies take our Eberlestock packs in with us. This gives us more options since we can pack 100 lns or so if necessary.

My ultra-light pack and gear weighs between 35 and 40 lbs depending on weather and how long we will be out. Food is between 1 and 1.5 lbs a day. My packs going in have weighed as little as 55 lbs and as much as 92 lbs.

As far as cleaning the blood out of your pack, I use soap and water. My Deuter was quite a mess after I returned from Wyoming this year and a ligttle soap, a rag, and 5-minutes with the hose and it looks as good as new (alomost). On my camo packs, you can't see the blood

By the way, Partisan 1911 summed packing out correctly as 99% mental.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks to all of you for all the good info. I definitely got some great ideas. I will try my first backpacking deer trip in next year's season.