Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Backpack hunting & meat hauling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Backpack hunting & meat hauling

I have two hunting packs that I really like packing out game...my Kifaru G2 Longhunter and my Eberlestock J34. But, looking at your photo, I see what appears to be a road close to where you are packing out your deer. If I were packing out that deer, i'd be using my Toyota Tundra....which is probably my favorite "backpack".
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Yes there is a road close after I already packed out. My Toyota Land cruiser was waiting, with dual lockers it usually can get pretty close.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 PM

That's an awesome picture. Glad it worked for you. Although you might want to consider some kind of blaze orange for around the deer. At 1st glance it looks like a live deer
Old 10-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt meyer View Post
That's an awesome picture. Glad it worked for you. Although you might want to consider some kind of blaze orange for around the deer. At 1st glance it looks like a live deer
Yes great advice for sure. What you cant see in the photo is that the back of the bag that holds the deer is bright red. That being said I probably wont carry many out like this more of a meat hauler, this was just an attempt and it worked. Believe me I thought about having more bright colors when I heard a vehicle coming down the road as I approached my vehicle from about 500 yards out!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 PM

I like my Stone Glacier backpack ... very versatile with the different options + loads VERY well up to 90 lbs (that's as far as I've loaded her up for now ...) ...

I have the Terminus and the Approach ... and take out both ... the goal is to leave the terminus on Site with all my gear included + do meat hauling with the Approach to the car, and return for the Terminus.

Quality is really good on the backpack and very comfortable ... but that's my opinion so ...
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

I am gonna be a smart ***** for a second and say that if you would have spent about 45 min skinning and deboning your pack would have weighed about 70 lbs. instead of 125! with that out of the way, congrats on your buck.
I have an old dana design (now it is MR) that is way better than EB's, I have not tried any others, good luck in your search for a good pack.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 AM

Typically I field dress my game the gutless method. But this day, call me crazy cause everyone else does, I thought it would be a challenge and a test to pack it out as is. It sucked and I felt it for a few days, but it was doable and that made the test of the pack successful. But I do see your smart $%! point....thanks